Need advice and help on birdsnest frag

  • Thread starter Thread starter D_Reep1106
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

D_Reep1106

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
380
Reaction score
88
Location
Wilmington, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've never had birdsnest before but I picked up a small frag from my lfs for extremely cheap to give it a shot. My question is 1. how long does it generally take for a piece to color back up? 2. Will it grow back into bleached pieces of the skeleton and 3. What should I do to aid this besides keeping parameters in balance.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454640689.116112.jpg

Quick pic with my iPhone hope it posts correctly but just so y'all see what I've got.
 
What's your params ? Lighting is best to start at sand and acclimate to light. Your best to cut the white off and it will continue from where you cut the bleach out.
 
Im trying to test now everything is normally in check every time i test it at the shop but I wanted to get you specifics. Anyone know the instructions for the API calcium test off the top of their head or can put them here?
 
5 ml tank water in there vile supplied. Shake part a super good add 10 drops shake. Grab bottle b add 2 drops shake etc keep count. you should get 20 to 22 drops when it changes from pink to purple.
 
Also birdsnest is one of the finikiest corals. Alk swing ph swing it affects this type of coral first.
 
Alright parameters,

Calcium 400
nitrate ~0
phosphates~0
and I am testing magnesium and alkalinity tomorrow.
Salinity 1.026
lights are power compacts on the top of the water. (red sea max 130D stock)

It has good polyp extension I just need to know do I cut the bleached tip?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new