OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the demand is low in terms of dKH of alkalinity per day, I'd start with manual once a day dosing with a two part when it becomes apparent it is needed based on alk measurements. Only work up to more complex methods when needed. ;)

Hi Randy thanks for the advice. I feel comfortable using two part based on testing. But if alk and calc are in balance is it simpler to use kalkwasser as this is already balanced?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy thanks for the advice. I feel comfortable using two part based on testing. But if alk and calc are in balance is it simpler to use kalkwasser as this is already balanced?

No. I used limewater for 20 years, but it is not easier than adding equal parts of a two part. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I used limewater for 20 years, but it is not easier than adding equal parts of a two part. [emoji3]

Ok fair end then. I’m thinking of using TLF C-Balance as is also incorporates Magnesium (and I generally trust the brand) is this a wise decision in your mind?

Also is it worth having a separate bottle of magnesium to make adjustments should the ratio get out of whack?

I’m assuming that a two part allows the user to use more or less of either solution in case the balance is out, then use equal amounts again once the correct balance/ratio between Alk and Calc has been achieved.. is this correct?

Cheers!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jase4224
Have you started up your tank?

I have always liked LPS and softies along with differrent filter feeders in a mixed lagoon setting. Not having high Calcium demanding SPS coral will eliminate much alkalinity management requirements. I use passive alkalinity buffering of aroggonite substrate combined with kalk makeup for evaporation. That is how I operate my systems after 47 years of reefkeeping. I eliminated opposite light cycle to allow pH to fluctuate as on the reefs of the ocean which fluctuate between 8.2 - 7.8 normally. Aroggonite can begin to dissolve at
8.05 pH assisting with bufferring and trace mineral addition.

Back