Need advice for dosing calc/alk/mg

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’m planning a 170gal mixed reef. I don’t want too many corals though with just a few (like 3 acros) sps at the top, some larger LPS and softies further down. I don’t want much rock so won’t be too much room for corals as I like to have swimming room for fish.

My question is this.. how should I dose Calc, Alk and mag? I think my demand with be low to medium for the volume. I can get TLF C balance in gal bottles at a good price if thats worth considering.

I don’t have experience with this so not sure if I should go two part or buy the individual products? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, with that little amount of hermatypic corals, performing a small weekly water change should be enough. If you had a lot of coralline algae and a large number of stony corals, then I would think about dosing calcium, alkalinity booster and magnesium.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you will have to wait to see how much the corals actually use and develop a plan from there.

If you are going to keep it really light on coral I would think water changes would be able to keep up.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Jason. Great place for advice just like this. I'll let those with more experience to comment . Good Luck with the tank !

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a decent alkalinity test (hanna checker). for that coral list test weekly. When the alkalinity drop is more than the water volume you are willing to change start dosing to cover the difference. Kalkwasser is another option at that point instead of a 2 part. There are also continuous water change systems that will keep your levels steady and be your nutrient export.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drip kalk for as long as I could. Kalk is great but if you get lots of stony corals eventually, you will have to supplement with 2 part or switch over to 2 part altogether.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern and potential issue with dosing anything that alters your water parameters is you should test your water before and after to ensure that your actions don’t become detrimental to the health and vigor of the livestock in your tank. By this, I mean adding to much or making drastic changes that ultimately could kill tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses.

I will absolutely be investing in testing equipment for all chemicals that I may dose I have experience with commercial pools so understand the importance of testing.

Actually I do have 500grms of TLF kalk that I purchased years ago but never used. Perhaps I should start with that.

So would two part cater to more coral growth than kalk?

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without much calcifying corals kalk would be fine.

My concern is "only a few SPS". I started like that.... It's like saying " I am only going to do heroin every once and awhile" lol

Lol I get what you mean but I actually prefer LPS and softies, my wife wants a group of clown gobies and I want a Harlequin Tusk (my fav fish) so the Acros are more of a home/hideout for the gobies and I guess would look natural at the very top of my scape.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would forget about dosing for 6 months. You need to get your tank stable before you will know what, if anything you need to do besides water changes.
Welcome

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice Lapin. In fact apart from a single small wrasse I won’t be adding any livestock or turning my lights on for the first 3-4 months or so. Adding livestock will be a process that will take maybe even a couple of years so I guess I might be jumping the gun but would like to have everything ready from the get go.

I’m closely following the BRS/WWC method that is in progress on the BRS YouTube channel which is giving me good insight.

I just don’t have any experience dosing a reef so not sure what chemicals to use in what situation. I understand that that larger tanks with heavy growth use calcium reactors.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get some different opinions on dosing vs cal reactor. I find the reactor the easiest. Both methods have pluses and minuses. Along with horror stories of each method killed a tank. You are on the right track by doing your research now. If a deal comes along, you will be ready to grab it.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what it is worth, there are less things to break on a doser and they are easier to dial in.

Reactors have their place but to have a solid reactor setup will cost you a serious chunk of change.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I do have a Dupla marine CO2 bottle with the correct regulator, as well as a Tunze calcium reactor controller.. brand new but OLD (12 years or so) so needs new probe. Not sure if the solenoid is ok or not. I still have the PH calibration liquids too but I’m not sure if they expire. I also had a Korralin reactor but chopped it up years ago to make something else (regretting that now). Also.. got brand new Caribsea reactor media too lol.

I had all this for my previous tank and never used it... I’m thinking that is might be worth fixing up as that would cost the same as dosers + chemicals. What do you guys think?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had all this for my previous tank and never used it... I’m thinking that is might be worth fixing up as that would cost the same as dosers + chemicals. What do you guys think?
The great debate begins :-}}}}}}

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I keep going back and fourth myself.. I think I will start with Kalk and go from there. It will be a really long stocking process so when the time comes I will probably know what I need to do.

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d check your levels, document them, and do 10% weekly water changes, document them..then figure out if you really need to dose.

What kind of salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not set up yet I’m still in the research stage. But yes I’ll definitely be recording my readings and doing probably bi-weekly 10-20% water changes.

I will use salt mix to fill the tank initially but will use NSW as much as possible for water changes. This is for two reasons: I have access to very clean NSW throughout summer and it’s obviously more affordable for me to use that.

Of course I will have a big bucket of salt mix at all times in case the NSW is not perfect especially in winter when it rains.

I will have R/O,D/I and carbon filtered water for top up and salt mixing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the demand is low in terms of dKH of alkalinity per day, I'd start with manual once a day dosing with a two part when it becomes apparent it is needed based on alk measurements. Only work up to more complex methods when needed. ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back