Need Advice for Nitrate Dosing

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
Basically, I'm looking for advice on the best way of dosing NO3 to my tank.
The reason I want to add nitrate is related to the low levels of Nitrate that have always existed in my tank and while, in general, my corals do well, I feel that most of my Acros lack vibrancy and polyp extension.
Yet I have read several articles and threads from pros and hobbyists about the purported benefits of having NO3 levels of 5ppm or greater to achieve these effects.
By comparison, my NO3 levels have never exceeded 4 in recent memory and they may average ~2ppm.
I've already read Randy's thread regarding the use of Sodium Nitrate and how to calculate the dosage.
What I would like is advice from people that have dosed NO3.
1. Have they found improved appearance in their SPS?
2. I am very interested in what effect NO3 dosing might have on the Phosphate in my tank.
Will it lower, increase or leave Phosphate unchanged?.
3. I have used GFO in a reactor and it has kept my PO4 in the 0.03 - 0.05 range, but recently I switched to Carbon dosing (Tropic Marin) which lowers the NO3 and PO4. Would I want to stop using it when I begin dosing NO3? Would I want to resume GFO?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 I find if my nitrates are at 0, it is bad for my acropora. As far as color goes, if I get measurable nitrate, the acropora seem ok.

2 I find the two to be independent of each other.

3 I would think that running carbon dosing with moderate nitrate dosing would still control phosphates. You are growing bacteria this way. Each bacterium requires a certain amount of phosphates and nitrates. So you should still be able to control phosphates this way and bump up nitrates a bit by dosing.

All systems are different and my experience may not transfer to your system.

Good luck to you.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just stop carbon dosing for awhile?

IMO, nitrate levels greater than 5ppm wont improve SPS because that's well above saturation levels. 2-4 range seems ideal for mixed SPS. Some very established tanks run higher nitrate levels, but it's more due to established tank maturity and not via direct intent.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
Basically, I'm looking for advice on the best way of dosing NO3 to my tank.
The reason I want to add nitrate is related to the low levels of Nitrate that have always existed in my tank and while, in general, my corals do well, I feel that most of my Acros lack vibrancy and polyp extension.
Yet I have read several articles and threads from pros and hobbyists about the purported benefits of having NO3 levels of 5ppm or greater to achieve these effects.
By comparison, my NO3 levels have never exceeded 4 in recent memory and they may average ~2ppm.
I've already read Randy's thread regarding the use of Sodium Nitrate and how to calculate the dosage.
What I would like is advice from people that have dosed NO3.
Yes!
2. I am very interested in what effect NO3 dosing might have on the Phosphate in my tank.
Ive noticed my phosphate uptake has went up...meaning i have to keep an eye to prevent it from bottoming out.
3. I have used GFO in a reactor and it has kept my PO4 in the 0.03 - 0.05 range, but recently I switched to Carbon dosing (Tropic Marin) which lowers the NO3 and PO4. Would I want to stop using it when I begin dosing NO3? Would I want to resume GFO?

Personally i wouldnt carbon dose...this process isnt well documented and we dont know the long term viability of this method. Not only that there are plenty of ways to reduce nitrates and phosphates naturally

Yes!
Ive noticed my phosphate uptake has went up...meaning i have to keep an eye to prevent it from bottoming out.

Personally i wouldn't carbon dose...this process isn't well documented and we dont know the long term viability of this method. Not only that there are plenty of ways to reduce nitrates and phosphates naturally

i started dosing sodium nitrates and within one month my corals started coloring up.... below example went from brownish red to a iridescent green

1598902819776.png

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Pat
1 I find if my nitrates are at 0, it is bad for my acropora. As far as color goes, if I get measurable nitrate, the acropora seem ok.

2 I find the two to be independent of each other.

3 I would think that running carbon dosing with moderate nitrate dosing would still control phosphates. You are growing bacteria this way. Each bacterium requires a certain amount of phosphates and nitrates. So you should still be able to control phosphates this way and bump up nitrates a bit by dosing.

All systems are different and my experience may not transfer to your system.

Good luck to you.
Yes!

Personally i wouldn't carbon dose...this process isn't well documented and we dont know the long term viability of this method. Not only that there are plenty of ways to reduce nitrates and phosphates naturally

i started dosing sodium nitrates and within one month my corals started coloring up.... below example went from brownish red to a iridescent green

1598902819776.png
Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just stop carbon dosing for awhile?

IMO, nitrate levels greater than 5ppm wont improve SPS because that's well above saturation levels. 2-4 range seems ideal for mixed SPS. Some very established tanks run higher nitrate levels, but it's more due to established tank maturity and not via direct intent.
OK the carbon dosing is instead of the GFO which has proven successful over the years.
Why am I carbon dosing now?
For some purported benefits from using the product.
If I stopped dosing, my PO4 will rise and when this happens it will cause algae outbreaks.
If, on the other hand, dosing a bit of NO3 will also reduce my Phosphates, as some people have said, then it's a win/win and conceivably I would not have to Carbon dose or use GFO

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back