Need advice: moving large acro colonies

  • Thread starter Thread starter bct15
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
2,847
Reaction score
169
Location
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving soon, and I have decided I will try to bring my tank with me rather than sell it. I have several large acro colonies (over 8" x 8") and id like some advice on how to transport them without destroying them. I will be moving over 500 miles away.

Thanks in advance.
 
If it were me, I would try to pack them as if they were being shipped. The same way they would trans-ship large acro colonies.

Use a full-size styro shipping box and individually pack the colonies with tons of water in heavy duty fish-bags from US Plastics. Heat seal them if you can to prevent leaks.
 
Here is my two headed advice.

One, get new or holding system set up, cycled, stable etc. Them ship them there & hope for the best.


Or

Honestly, cut them up, sell some, give some away, then when you get there, restart with large frags from friends. We all know how they will RTN if you look at them wrong. Now you will be changing flow, temp, parameters, etc. I think it is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention the inevitable cycle you will have from moving tank.
 
I'm really just looking for advice on how to get them there in one piece. Or at least close to one piece.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new