Need advice of wet sanding acrylic

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was given a 145g acrylic tank and have had it filled for about 2 weeks.. no leaks! Although the front has some pretty deep scratches on it. I’m wanting to wet sand/ polish it to try and take some scratches out. They are pretty deeeep.. so what grit sandpaper would you suggest? I’ve been seeing a lot of people just use 1000 grit, then move to 2000 grit, but would using more types get the scratches out? Like what if I used 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then 3000? Would that be a waste of time? I have absolutely zero experience in wet sanding acrylic so any help would be awesome! Thanks guys in advance.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the more types of sandpaper the better. But if the scratches are deep I would start with an even lower grit. Maybe 800 or even 400

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you sand all The way to 3500 the polishing will be easier

Let the machine do the work

make sure you don’t jump to fast on sand paper, step from 600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000-2500-3000-3500

I’ve sanded as low as 80 grit but that’s for real deep stuff

Stepping the sandpaper makes it much easier to get it looking like new when you polish

make sure you don’t sand one spot too long and distort the panel

sand horizontal, then perpendicular, theRepeat

keep paper and or acrylic wet

polish with novus and felt wheel

Last edited:

adreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Mellotang - don't take big jumps in sand paper grit. Start with whatever grit it takes to make your existing scratch disappear. And like he said - when starting a new grit, sand perpendicular to the direction of the last grit. Sand until you can't see the scratches from the previous grit. Keep it really wet, as in standing/flowing water wet. Finish with Novus 3, 2, and 1. The Novus can be done by hand, but it's extra elbow grease.

When you are all done, you can use the same method and materials to clear up the faded yellow headlights on your car, lol.

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For deep scratches I usually start at 220 and then use a micromesh kit to slowly move up, in alternating directions, to 8000 grit. Wet sanding the whole way. I also use a flashlight to make sure the previous grit was completely removed before moving on. That's why you go in alternating 90 degree directions for each grit. It's hard labor, but take your time and it will turn out well.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, please tape off the area you don't want to sand, especially if using mechanical assistance. You'll have to fade it in at the end with the last few grits, but you don't want to do the whole area wondering where you went with each grit, etc... Also, be mindful of causing a rut or some type of concave into the surface if the scratch is too deep. You'll really want to fade that in and not go after that only spot. As others have said, works great, just slowly go through all the grits with cleaning for residue between.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree with that but maybe my experience is different

I’ve never sanded a tank where I didn’t need to use novus

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back