The 205 dream

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we have officially kicked off our new build and I'm super excited. We are having @Crystal Reef Aquatics build our tank and sump for us. We've decided to go with a 66"x30"x24". I think that comes out to about 205. We've ordered some rock and played with it on the garage floor.

We currently have a 93 cube which we will be transferring everything over except the rock. Otherwise, new tank, sump, skimmer and lights. Big upgrade. We are trying to go with a fairly minimal aquascaape, but had fun unpacking the rock. We just kind of layed it all out in a rough dimension of the tank. NOt sure if we purchased enough or not, but do plan to bring over the Brightwell brick we currently have in our sump so that should help some. Now I'm confused as to what I should do with this rock? Should I start curing it? Should I just leave it alone and cycle it with the new tank, oh so many questions, so I just threw it in a Brute container for now.

20180913_173851.jpg

20180915_085010.jpg

20180915_085018.jpg

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank that we are replacing with this build. It's going to be difficult to do the transition as the new tank will sit partially where the old tank sits!

20180805_161300.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank looks awesome. Old tank look beautiful. Can't wait to see your new upgrade setup. Following.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on stand now.... thinking of going with 8020 thought not 100% decided based on cost. But I love the feasibility with the build, the portability, re-usability, etc... I have a slight concern on how to skin it, but I know I can work that out. Ideally I'll end up with the clean look of the waterbox or red sea stands. Here is just my very rough side view sketch...

upload_2018-10-2_15-38-37.png

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Washington are ya? Beautiful setup and looking forward to future setup. Im just outside of Kirkland.

Littlepalm173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. In the market for a similar sized aquarium. 60x24x24 (180g). What kind of glass did you choose? What kind of pricing did you get. I’ll be following along!

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. In the market for a similar sized aquarium. 60x24x24 (180g). What kind of glass did you choose? What kind of pricing did you get. I’ll be following along!
Hi @John Trinidad, I chose to use Starfire on 3 sides, 1/2" with eurobrace. I won't tell you my pricing, but I packaged a sump/tank plus a few other things with @Crystal Reef Aquatics and found them to be fair. They certainly weren't the cheapest, but.... they weren't the most expensive either and the quality is why I chose them. I think Red Sea and Waterbox, for example, have some great options out there, but I wanted a custom size and quality was paramount. I have seen some tanks from a couple other manufacturers that were much cheaper, but, for example, some of the eurobracking wasn't straight, or popped up a smidge past the tank. I didn't want that so I may have paid a bit more, but the materials and build are totally worth it. Oh, and I know for a fact that the CR tanks are hand built to exacting standards, I even went to the shop to see some tanks before I decided.

Littlepalm173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @John Trinidad, I chose to use Starfire on 3 sides, 1/2" with eurobrace. I won't tell you my pricing, but I packaged a sump/tank plus a few other things with @Crystal Reef Aquatics and found them to be fair. They certainly weren't the cheapest, but.... they weren't the most expensive either and the quality is why I chose them. I think Red Sea and Waterbox, for example, have some great options out there, but I wanted a custom size and quality was paramount. I have seen some tanks from a couple other manufacturers that were much cheaper, but, for example, some of the eurobracking wasn't straight, or popped up a smidge past the tank. I didn't want that so I may have paid a bit more, but the materials and build are totally worth it. Oh, and I know for a fact that the CR tanks are hand built to exacting standards, I even went to the shop to see some tanks before I decided.

Thanks for the reply!

I can certainly understand that. I was considering doing another Red Sea Reefer (I have a 170), like the 525XL, but I'll be plumbing the sump to the basement, so an all-in-one isnt exactly the best option for me. I'd have to jury rig everything together after that anyway, so I'd be paying a premium for no reason. I like their look, and their simple stand is handsome...

I'll look into @Crystal Reef Aquatics as an option for sure.

As another note, did their overflow come with the unit, or did are you installing a internal box, like the synergy reef stuff? the diagram looks great!!

John

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John Trinidad - I'm right with you on not wanting to pay for something you don't want. I would have replaced the sump for either the Red Sea or the Waterbox, but also do love the simple style.

As for the overflow, with CR it's basically your choice. They will do what you want. On mine, I am having them notch the back and put on a nice sized glass overflow with a longer wier on top inside. This was after discussion with their builder. The can put in a Shadow if you want, or they have something very similar they make, as well as a few other options, so it's really what I wanted. I, for example, didn't want an internal, thought it took up too much real estate and would be something I'd have to look at and well, didn't want to.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple small updates, decided to go with T-slot for the frame and that is on order, so will be fun to see what that looks like when received. Also, got the lights. Don't even talk to me about expense :( At least was able to get a fair deal on a used Skimmer on here from a fellow reefer, so saved some there!

20181103_194115.jpg

20181104_133711.jpg

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it's been a bit since I've updated. I think I'm finally done purchasing things, so that's great. I also got my stand in and have assembled it to see how it looks. I'll start cutting the bottom and top of the stand very soon, and will get those fitted. Then I'll start working on all the equipment/wiring. My plan is to build the entire tank without fish or coral in the garage, then disassemble and move into the house and swap tanks. That way I will have already tested plumbing, electrical, etc.... and the actual move of corals/fish from one tank to the other can be done fairly swiftly.

Below is stand before assembly.
20181120_194313.jpg
20181121_180830.jpg

Stand being assembled (upside down)

Back