NEED ADVICE on AI SETTINGS

BamaReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x33x24 SPS tank. I bought (4) AI52's and was gifted (2) AI64's. So I have all (6) over the tank of all SPS. The tank has been running almost a year now. When I just had the (4) 52's the color was ok, I added the (2) 64's and now I believe the (6) are too strong. I am using a AB plus aip file I have that others reefers are using. But I am thinking I might have to back off the current settings by 20 to 30 percent. The reason why I am stating that, is my corals are turning pale in certain parts of the tank and I believe it is from hot spots. The coral in those areas are turning pale. My parameters are as followed

Dkh-8.3
Cal- 450
Mag- 1250
No3- 10ppm
No4- .03ppm

Please provide feedback as much as you can and I appreciate all the feedback in advance.

BamaReefer

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you answered your own question? dial down the lights and see how they react. SPS won't lie to ya

OP
OP
BamaReefer123

BamaReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you answered your own question? dial down the lights and see how they react. SPS won't lie to ya
Thanks Frogspon. I was leaning that way. Just wanted to possible hear from some individuals that were more seasoned with the AI's.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Frogspon. I was leaning that way. Just wanted to possible hear from some individuals that were more seasoned with the AI's.
Just do it slowly... no more than 5% a day.

When you raise up values, don't go more than 1% a day

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Frogspon.

BamaReefer

No problem. If I'm tinkering with the values I like to move mine 5% either way and leave it for a week to give the tank time to acclimate and see how everything reacts.

If you tinker too much too often, you're headed to brown town.

OP
OP
BamaReefer123

BamaReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. If I'm tinkering with the values I like to move mine 5% either way and leave it for a week to give the tank time to acclimate and see how everything reacts.

If you tinker too much too often, you're headed to brown town.
Perfect, I don’t want brown town. I just have a couple of tenuis that have turned pale on me.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pale doesn’t always mean your lights are too strong. Nor does brown always mean lights are too low. I feel the majority of the time paling and browning is associated with over filtering. Have you recently upped your nutrient exports?

I have a lot of experience with hydras and Tenuis btw

OP
OP
BamaReefer123

BamaReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pale doesn’t always mean your lights are too strong. Nor does brown always mean lights are too low. I feel the majority of the time paling and browning is associated with over filtering. Have you recently upped your nutrient exports?

I have a lot of experience with hydras and Tenuis btw
I did add a biopellet reactor. Do you believe that could have made my tenuis pale? I never thought about that. Thanks for the feedback Charlie.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add a biopellet reactor. Do you believe that could have made my tenuis pale? I never thought about that. Thanks for the feedback Charlie.
I think that definitely could of played a role. Hard to say without par numbers and pics though. I have 2-52hds over my 50g Tenuis display and I’ve learned the Tenuis prefer 300-400 par from led only. This would be my ideal range but that’s difficult to achieve in a display. I have some in the 450-550 that have great color but grow significantly slower. I also keep my no3/po4 much higher than you. 10-25/0.10-0.35

OP
OP
BamaReefer123

BamaReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that definitely could of played a role. Hard to say without par numbers and pics though. I have 2-52hds over my 50g Tenuis display and I’ve learned the Tenuis prefer 300-400 par from led only. This would be my ideal range but that’s difficult to achieve in a display. I have some in the 450-550 that have great color but grow significantly slower. I also keep my no3/po4 much higher than you. 10-25/0.10-0.35
Thanks Charlie. I am searching for someone that can check my tank with a PAR meter to dial them in. Not much luck ATM. But will continue to search. Thanks for the inputs.

BamaReefer

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back