Need advice on important Reef purchase!

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which turkey baster is the way to go? Would love to hear your recommendations.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap plastic one. That way you can replace anytime. I keep shooting the end out of mine and having to put it back together while blowing off rocks. But, at least I can clean it easily. I have one for each tank currently.

I understand this is a very big investment, so make sure to get the actual color you want. Don't make my mistake and get the red ones. Get something to match the surroundings so you can never find it when you need it.

OP
OP
Olefreebe

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap plastic one. That way you can replace anytime. I keep shooting the end out of mine and having to put it back together while blowing off rocks. But, at least I can clean it easily. I have one for each tank currently.

I understand this is a very big investment, so make sure to get the actual color you want. Don't make my mistake and get the red ones. Get something to match the surroundings so you can never find it when you need it.
I knew it wouldn't take long for an experienced reefer to come in here and weigh in on this important topic.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want it for- if just for blasting the rocks, go cheap :) If you want to also use it to feed your corals, I suggest getting one that you can easily clean the bulb out and one that will maintain a vaccum when in water. Most of the cheaper brands can be dissaembled, but "leak" the coral foods/frozen foods once placed into water- this may or may not be an issue depending on your application or if you are going to use a dedicated coral feeder/syringe.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you happen to find one for sale, I'm a huge fan of the TAAM Rio coral feeder as a turkey baster. It has a locking nut on the bulb so it never comes off/leaks and the baster is still maintaining suction/not leaking after about 10 years. The other one I'd be on the lookout for in the used market would be any of the ones Paul B made for Marine Depot. I sadly lost mine a few years ago, but that design was tough as nails and had a bend for getting behind the rock or target feeding at an angle!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back