Need advice on tank upgrade/transfer

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an IM Nuvo 20 that I've had for a little over a year. It was my first reef tank and I learned a lot within this past year. I currently have a new plumbed 40g with 10g sump that I want to transfer my 20g however I have a bit of a dilemma.

The 20g has ich and I've recently been dealing with some bryposis that I'm treating with fluconazole. The corals (easy SPS) are doing fine and there's a ton of nice coralline and microfauna that would help stabilize the new tank. I'm a bit wary of transferring the corals and live rock due to ich and bryposis. Should I just transfer and treat the fish and leave the 20g fallow for a few months then transfer the live rock? Or should I quarantine the corals and get rid of the live rock and go with all new live rock.
I'll be honest that I'm not super religious with my quarantine and don't quarantine corals and inverts. For fish I will do an observational quarantine for several weeks to make sure they are healthy and eating and treat with metro and prazi but I don't do copper unless needed. I haven't lost a fish yet.

I've made a few mistakes while learning this hobby and I am trying to figure out if I should start fresh or just live with my past mistakes.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the fish healthy where they are before trying to move them. Once they are healthy, not showing the ich then attempt the transfer. I guess I am recommending "Ich Management" vs treating since you (like me) are not too swift with medical protocols.

Can you put a proper sized UV onto the tank to knock the ich out?

OP
OP
M

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the IM uv bulb. Its kinda garbage as it relies on the overflow. I just replaced the bulb so hopefully that helps for the time being. I have a better uv sterilizer planned for the upgrade.
Any thoughts on transferring the live rock?

IMO It seems like bad things come and go in this hobby and as long as you maintain some balance, plan ahead for additions and prevention, and intervene when things start to show you can pretty much deal with 90% of the bad. Reef tank tycoon. Unfortunately there are some mistakes that are best learned through experience ie montipora eating nudis and probably velvet (knock on wood).

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say quarantine/treat fish and let the 20 go fallow to kill off any ich, and keep treating for bryopsis. The 20 is just getting mature and all that micro fauna would be beneficial to starting up a strong system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back