Need advice on water parameters for Xoas

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely replace your API kit. I don't have experience with the salifert tests but like said before, a lot of people really like them. I personally use Red Sea tests and really like how easy they are to use.

I do have the Hanna Checkers (Alk,Calcium, Phosphate) as well but still will go to the Red Sea to double check.

MrZoaCrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't know the nitrates. We suspect they are low, and I agree that zoas do well in higher nitrate tanks, but they also do well in low nitrate tanks.

Assuming nitrates are 0.05ppm, what level NO3 do you recommend to target?

Lastly, it's a new tank (and from a video he posted it looks new). how do you reconcile raising nitrates with the generally accepted practice of keeping NO3 and PO4 low to help battle new tank algae issues?

the level of no3 I’d recommend to target is between 5-10ppm my reef tank runs between them have had it running for just under a year from new setup all zoas, and LPS Duncan’s, hammers, candy canes ,fungia are all growing and thriving inthese water parameters.

Id recommend rasing the no3 levels by trying either one of these ways, Turning skimmer off for a few day, feeding flake food over frozen mysis or krill, or dosing amino acids into tank.

the main way I would recommend combating algae issue is GFO the easiest way to combat algae

these are my recommendations every tank is different

however I do have to agree with what you said earlier his lighting schedule is ramping up too fast which could also be the reason as to why.

OP
OP
Pattheerin

Pattheerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the level of no3 I’d recommend to target is between 5-10ppm my reef tank runs between them have had it running for just under a year from new setup all zoas, and LPS Duncan’s, hammers, candy canes ,fungia are all growing and thriving inthese water parameters.

Id recommend rasing the no3 levels by trying either one of these ways, Turning skimmer off for a few day, feeding flake food over frozen mysis or krill, or dosing amino acids into tank.

the main way I would recommend combating algae issue is GFO the easiest way to combat algae

these are my recommendations every tank is different

however I do have to agree with what you said earlier his lighting schedule is ramping up too fast which could also be the reason as to why.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will be working on each one of them.

I turned down the lighting a bit, and adjusted the ramping period to be longer. I screenshotted showing the levels during the peak time in the day. This looks like the intensity is about 35%, where it was over 50 before. Also, I adjusted the ramp to start at 10:30AM and peak at 2pm, does that seem more reasonable? That will run the peak from 2pm to 8:30pm.

Let me know what you think of this.

thanks!

lighting.PNG

Back