Need advice

Jared1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but not to saltwater have had tanks for a while now lol. Anyway I just got 2 new tank up and running and cycled both 75's. Both have live rock. Now a couple days ago I got a snowflake moray eel. Which can I say I think I've found my favorite fish of all time they have both attitude and personality all while leaving other fish alone. I've been feeding shrimp and crab meat. Here's my question. Now while I love the looks and personality the eel (Poseidon is his name lol cause he's king of the tank) id love to have an eel that would roam a bit more around the tank and poke his head out more. Which I know the snowflake is newer to the tank and probably scared. But I'd like a little bigger more personality. Because my other tank is going to have just one bigger eel in it and that's it. I was wanting something more active bc I don't want the tank to look empty. Thanks for any replies

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but not to saltwater have had tanks for a while now lol. Anyway I just got 2 new tank up and running and cycled both 75's. Both have live rock. Now a couple days ago I got a snowflake moray eel. Which can I say I think I've found my favorite fish of all time they have both attitude and personality all while leaving other fish alone. I've been feeding shrimp and crab meat. Here's my question. Now while I love the looks and personality the eel (Poseidon is his name lol cause he's king of the tank) id love to have an eel that would roam a bit more around the tank and poke his head out more. Which I know the snowflake is newer to the tank and probably scared. But I'd like a little bigger more personality. Because my other tank is going to have just one bigger eel in it and that's it. I was wanting something more active bc I don't want the tank to look empty. Thanks for any replies

Will eels outgrow that size tank? I had a friend who had this problem.

OP
OP
J

Jared1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some will some won't theres a dwarf golden moray that gets about 10-12" long. The snowflake is good in that tank size as I did major research on the snow flake previous to buying. The jeweled moray is something I'm interested in anyone have experience with these and I also have a 300 gallon later on if any eel outgrows his home

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels don't roam around the tank much, none of them. They kinda pick holes in the substrate, and make themselves a home, buried under the rocks. Usually don't see em much, cept at feeding time.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will eels outgrow that size tank? I had a friend who had this problem.

A snowflake won't outgrow a 75 :)

OP, I wrote an article on eel care a few months ago. It may have some useful info in it.
It's a sticky here on R2R in the predatory fish section. I'd post a link, but the app won't allow me for some reason.

I agree with RM. Most eels are only active at feeding time. Most will be out and about exploring their new home when first added to the tank and looking for a nice spot to settle down in, but some go straight into hiding. Give her some more time and you may see her more and more in the next few days.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back