Need Advice

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt all corals and inverts in a fishless tank that has been up over 2 years. I have a gem and yellow tang that are done qt. The last coral came out of frag tank January 1st. They were in there for 45 days. Would it be safe to add the tangs for observation. I would think there would be no ich cyst. Would like your all opinions? Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - calculating how long ich can remain viable in a fishless system is not as clear cut as people may think. "76 days" gets bandied about a lot, and this is longer than I have ever used. It is based on an extreme worst case scenario, at lower water temperatures. At 81 degrees, you can shave some time off of that and still be safe. If there was no active infection noted, I have always used 45 days at 81 F. Is that 100% guaranteed? Nope, but safe enough for me....

Jay

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt all corals and inverts in a fishless tank that has been up over 2 years. I have a gem and yellow tang that are done qt. The last coral came out of frag tank January 1st. They were in there for 45 days. Would it be safe to add the tangs for observation. I would think there would be no ich cyst. Would like your all opinions? Thanks.
It sounds like you’ve taken way more precautions than the average reefer does when it comes to QT. If you’re not seeing signs of ick by now, I’d just add them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back