DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well where to start.

75g with refugium. 100g total.

0 of the fish in there were quarantined.
Live stock
2 clowns
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
5 Chromis
Purple dotty back
Various corals and inverts.

Now all was good until the yellow tang went in. Yellow Tang developed ich and all other fish looked great. I began the H2O2 regimen discussed on humble reef as I did not have a QT. Initially everything cleared up great but now the hippo had developed ich and everything else looks great.

As stated before I didn't have any sort of QT tank and space is scarce. Today I brought home a 20L filled it with water. Has a HOB, power head, PVC pipe and a heater. Dosed it with copper power and moved the hippo in there. So this is where we currently are.

So my question is to you where do we go from here. Do we move the other fish in to the QT and go fallow? Do we treat the hippo and move him back? I'm looking for some insight on what some more experienced people would do in my situation.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well where to start.

Live stock
2 clowns
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
5 Chromis
Purple dotty back

Now all was good until the yellow tang went in. Yellow Tang developed ich and all other fish looked great. I began the H2O2 regimen discussed on humble reef as I did not have a QT. Initially everything cleared up great but now the hippo had developed ich and everything else looks great.

As stated before I didn't have any sort of QT tank and space is scarce. Today I brought home a 20L filled it with water. Has a HOB, power head, PVC pipe and a heater. Dosed it with copper power and moved the hippo in there. So this is where we currently are.

So my question is to you where do we go from here. Do we move the other fish in to the QT and go fallow? Do we treat the hippo and move him back? I'm looking for some insight on what some more experienced people would do in my situation.
P[eroxide is often a short cut and not an effective treatment and all other fish are likely infected even if you do not YET see dots. All are safe to treat with coppersafe at 2.0-2.25 treatment level. Now that you began this- treat for a FULL 30 days and leave display tank Fishless for 6-8 weeks to assure the life cycle of ich without a host has ended and they have died off

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is when you have to make the hard choice. Do you want to maintain a fallow tank or do you want to treat as needed.

The ich is in the tank and any time there is a stressor, the fist will likely get it again. Then you'll need to treat as necessary.

Otherwise, if you eliminate it, you'll need to QT all fish going in a d copper treat for at least 2 weeks to prevent re adding ich...

It's a tough one to balance. I personally QT and treat everything before adding to the tank.

Here's a bit more info if you're interested

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well where to start.

Live stock
2 clowns
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
5 Chromis
Purple dotty back

Peroxide often fails except when used as a high dose dip & move scenario. It may reduce the rate of ich infestations in some cases though.

Coppersafe / copper power work better. If I understand it, you can move fish into copper in the new tank if/when they develop symptoms? The trouble is, as long as any fish remain in the DT, ich may still be there in subacute levels.

Jay

OP
OP
D

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I deal with the ammonia in the QT. I can't move any cycled stuff from the DT. What is the best course there? I do have some prime on hand.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I deal with the ammonia in the QT. I can't move any cycled stuff from the DT. What is the best course there? I do have some prime on hand.
Why can’t you move cycled media from the DT? As long as it isn’t calcium based (that would interfere with copper) you can do that. No worries about moving disease over since the fish did that already (grin).
Controlling ammonia in a new tank with prime or water changes is a losing proposition, you’ll never keep up. Bacteria in a bottle product like Dr Tim’s will work, but expensive.
Jay

OP
OP
D

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you are right. I have those ceramic balls that I can move over I just read that you shouldn't bring any infected media over. But what you say makes sense. Thank you for your input. I'll move the ceramic. Balls over from the refugium and begin to move the rest of the fish over.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well where to start.

Live stock
2 clowns
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
5 Chromis
Purple dotty back

All of your fish should be treated (assuming it's actually Ich) - If you don't have invertebrates - you could try a hypo salinity protocol in your display. My guess is that it's going to be extremely difficult to manage copper with levels in the tank the way you're doing it? And - then there is the issue with copper adsorbing to the rock, - such that keeping inverts in the future could be difficult?

OP
OP
D

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your fish should be treated (assuming it's actually Ich) - If you don't have invertebrates - you could try a hypo salinity protocol in your display. My guess is that it's going to be extremely difficult to manage copper with levels in the tank the way you're doing it? And - then there is the issue with copper adsorbing to the rock, - such that keeping inverts in the future could be difficult?

I'll leave all the inverts in the DT. I have copper power and a Hannah Cooper test kit. I'll move all fish to the QT with th ceramic media I have and QT for 30 days.

IMG_20240107_190917.jpg IMG_20240107_190914.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back