Need Advice!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
820BB80F-E69A-41A2-8F54-893AA20266AB.jpeg

I got a new dottyback on Monday and I noticed his color wasn’t completely there but I didn’t think much of it because I assumed it would get better. Well it slowly got worse in less than a day he died. He stopped eating and was rubbing up against the rock yesterday and started having this weird film I originally thought it was ick I now think it was velvet. He died.☹️ I just set up a quarantine tank I didn’t have one before. The dottyback was in my main tank for about a day before I took the little guy out. Sadly I didn’t have a quarantine or copper on hand and it happened at night and I think he was too far gone to save under the best conditions because he progressively got worse. Sorry these are bad photos but it took me forever to get and to get him out. I bought vitamins/supplements. I just don’t want to stress them out unnecessarily. Can I just wait a few months to add new fish and monitor my current ones? Do I have to quarantine for 76 days with copper and go fish less in my main tank? 7B1D7F83-F801-422C-8EA2-A8C4DA199322.jpeg 77C74A28-5274-484F-9A3D-B3DCA4B2A92D.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
820BB80F-E69A-41A2-8F54-893AA20266AB.jpeg

I got a new dottyback on Monday and I noticed his color wasn’t completely there but I didn’t think much of it because I assumed it would get better. Well it slowly got worse in less than a day he died. He stopped eating and was rubbing up against the rock yesterday and started having this weird film I originally thought it was ick I now think it was velvet. He died.☹️ I just set up a quarantine tank I didn’t have one before. The dottyback was in my main tank for about a day before I took the little guy out. Sadly I didn’t have a quarantine or copper on hand and it happened at night and I think he was too far gone to save under the best conditions because he progressively got worse. Sorry these are bad photos but it took me forever to get and to get him out. I bought vitamins/supplements. I just don’t want to stress them out unnecessarily. Can I just wait a few months to add new fish and monitor my current ones? Do I have to quarantine for 76 days with copper and go fish less in my main tank? 7B1D7F83-F801-422C-8EA2-A8C4DA199322.jpeg 77C74A28-5274-484F-9A3D-B3DCA4B2A92D.jpeg
Was that the only fish in your main tank? If so, then holding it fallow with no fish for 75 days is prudent, since you don't know what killed the dottyback.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was that the only fish in your main tank? If so, then holding it fallow with no fish for 75 days is prudent, since you don't know what killed the dottyback.

Jay
No! There is 2 clownfish and a damsel which both look great and are eating! As well as coral and shrimp which I’m not worried about/don’t need to do anything to.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! There is 2 clownfish and a damsel which both look great and are eating! As well as coral and shrimp which I’m not worried about/don’t need to do anything to.
Well, you can't fallow a tank for fish diseases that has fish in it. My standard advice is don't add any new fish to a tank that has had unexplained fish loss for at least 45 days. That coincides nicely with the length of time for a standard quarantine for any new fish.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, you can't fallow a tank for fish diseases that has fish in it. My standard advice is don't add any new fish to a tank that has had unexplained fish loss for at least 45 days. That coincides nicely with the length of time for a standard quarantine for any new fish.

Jay
Okay thank you.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least for your fallow period you'll still have some fish to watch in the meantime! I ended up having to go 72 days fallow in my tank with no fish a while back

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back