Need advise for PH?

kyleshaw81503

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested PH today with my Hanna checker and PH is reading 8.5 to 8.6 which is high. I’m assuming it will gradually come down?

my second question is I have been using soda ash to raise the alkalinity which in turn raises the PH. So I know why my PH is high. My question is can I also dose sodium bicarbonate (which will raise alkalinity but won’t raise Ph for long if at all) while I’m using soda ash?

will I see any effects from using soda ash then changing to sodium bicarbonate?

should I worry about a PH of 8.6?

been battling alkalinity I’ve been hitting 6.4 DkH trying to keep it above 7 and a target of above 8 I will need a doser real soon. Tank is consistently consuming alkalinity.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which pH test of theirs do you have. They that could just be within reasonable error. I wouldn't worry too much, but you can use bicarb if you want without issue

OP
OP
K

kyleshaw81503

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that the pH is not accurate, and if it is, more aeration will reduce it.

How much alk in dKH per day are you dosing?
I’ve been just adding it by hand every couple of days. I’m going to get a doser today so I can have some stability. It appeared the tank was using .1 dkh a day but I think it might be using more.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been just adding it by hand every couple of days. I’m going to get a doser today so I can have some stability. It appeared the tank was using .1 dkh a day but I think it might be using more.

At that dose rate, I expect the pH is a test error, and regardless, the effect of what you are adding is minimal and it doesn't matter what it is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back