Need Algae advice or maybe just encouragement

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THREE YEARS!! You have the patience of a saint

Rockwork is mortared together so I can't take it out. The issue seems to be that the rock has so many little depressions/holes in it...that the algae grows up out of that...and then I can't get a brush in there to dislodge it.

I've got a Tang and lawnmower blenny on the way as well as a few trochus and turbo snails to boost my CUC. I wouldn't mind having them do such a good job that I have to feed them!! I've got seaweed and some wafers ready to go.
Yeah, it helps to be obsessed. I’ll admit that I at times felt like giving up. But then you see some improvement and regain hope. With bubble algae and cyano I was resigned to doing weekly siphoning and harvesting forever as they were similarly relentless. But I kept going because my corals were growing and kept my interest. But then eventually as if by magic they just slowed down and I just have to gather some bubble algae every few weeks. Cyano just faded to a minimum. I did nothing different. The tank just matured and with high coral growth and possibly development of some unidentifiable biological factor eventually beat out the nuisance stuff. I can’t explain exactly what happens.

Last edited:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im interested in seeing how this resolves. System I have setup currently looked exactly like yours when it was at the end of its cycle (or at least I think that was the case) So much scrubbing with a tooth brush took place, in the DT and sump/fuge areas. Had to clean return pump out once as well. Could be coincidence but when I was able to get the length of the hair algae down low enough that inverts can process it I added (1) short spine urchin and (12) trochus snails. Bout a week later almost all of the algae was gone except a pretty much unnoticeable amount here and there which I think is good for keeping the urchin fed. I think it was the trochus snails that really solved the problem. Like you my levels were all within decent range for that time period. Seems like the consensus here is that this is the dirty work and hopefully the reward comes later and is well deserved.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im interested in seeing how this resolves. System I have setup currently looked exactly like yours when it was at the end of its cycle (or at least I think that was the case) So much scrubbing with a tooth brush took place, in the DT and sump/fuge areas. Had to clean return pump out once as well. Could be coincidence but when I was able to get the length of the hair algae down low enough that inverts can process it I added (1) short spine urchin and (12) trochus snails. Bout a week later almost all of the algae was gone except a pretty much unnoticeable amount here and there which I think is good for keeping the urchin fed. I think it was the trochus snails that really solved the problem. Like you my levels were all within decent range for that time period. Seems like the consensus here is that this is the dirty work and hopefully the reward comes later and is well deserved.
I've got two tuxedo urchins and quite a few astrea, nassarius, cerinth, and nerite. Sounds like the consensus is that they don't go after the algae when it's long...and tuxedos will eat corraline (which they are doing in my tank).

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I don't have any experience with tuxedo urchins, but the short spined (Echinometra mathei) has been the best for me so far. Algae definitely has to be short and cropped for them to dig in. Trochus snails were suggested to me by my LFS for algae eating and they seem to be the best eaters from what Ive seen. I have a few in my fuge too, they keep the walls really clean.

PensacolaReefKeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having similar problem. Have you considered trochus snails? Possible detritus stuck in small cracks? I think I have underestimated the impact of a large, diverse CUC in the past.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having similar problem. Have you considered trochus snails? Possible detritus stuck in small cracks? I think I have underestimated the impact of a large, diverse CUC in the past.
I've got 10 on order arriving next Friday. 10 turbo as well to add to my, IMO, pretty large crew of hermits, cerinth, astrea, nassarius, nerite, and 2 tuxedo urchins

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you got algae problems when even your tuxedo urchin looks like those troll dolls. The cardinal is looking at him like "Don't play with your food".
tuxalg.jpg

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Still not winning vs Algae. (Pics below...and yes these were taken when a glass scraping was due).

I continue to scrub and catch as much as possible. I'm not going to 'rip clean' as I only see that as a temp solution. Also..I see too much risk in trying to hoist 3 x 33lb rocks (which I mortared together into a 100lb behemoth) out of the tank. Too much risk of breaking/scratching the glass.

Since my last update I bought a screen to help block out any indirect light on the tank. I was hoping that would be helpful but it doesn't really look like it's made a dent in things. (Pics below)

Ordered a refresh for my cleaning crew...but need to address the problem of why they just don't seem to last. I have zero turbo snails left...probably purchased a dozen over the last year. astrea have died off as well. tried some trochus...those didn't last either. Other inverts (cleaner shrimp) are doing just fine...

I adjusted the flow. Seems to be lots of algae growing on the sand. I was wondering if I wasn't moving enough water around. I had the 2 x mp40's on opposite sides of the tank. one high...one low. both set to continuous flow at a rate around 1800 gallons per hour. I have since moved them both to the back side of the rockwork and reset them to reef crest 11.5 hours a day at about 2500gph then reef lagoon around 1800 gallons per hour the rest of the time. My rockwork doesn't have much space (only a few inches) on either end of the tank I'm keeping an eye on flow from the back to the front. The MP40's seem to be pushing water through the rockwork in the center of the tank. Overall I just wonder if I'm not moving enough water in the front. Algae has always been an issue on the sides where the rock is near the glass...so I adjust both returns (500gph total) to try and get water moving more in those areas.

I reduced feedings thinking it might be contributing too much phospate. only feeding once a day. ordered some chemipure blue on a recommendation. Might as well try and drive the phospate down to near zero and see what happens.

Tracking my parameters since the last update:

Phospates have been between 0.02 and 0.06.
Nitrates stay near zero'd out. Just dosed a little Sodium Nitrate yesterday. Gonna see about dosing to just keep it off zero. Aiming for 2-5ppm.

I'm been dosing Alk to keep it around 9.0

Mag dosed up. Aiming for 1350. This was down to 1030 early Jan. Didn't think I had anything that was really consuming it. So I've been brining it back up. Today's test was 1305.

CA dosing as well. Shooting for 420. Was at a low of 380 in early Jan so I've been dosing that back up. Todays test was 425.

Chaeto is not really growing. It probably started the size of a baseball back in August...now it's probably the size of two softballs...so not the "typical" growth others are seeing. Fuge light (Kessil H80) is now running from 6:30 pm to 6:30 am. I started dosing some Chaeto Gro (one cap) directly into the fuge with the pumps off once a week. I had stopped this a while ago...didn't really seem to make a difference either way...so starting it back up.

solid tank side.jpg

Solid window side.jpg
Center Left Jan 23.jpg
Center Right Jan 23.jpg
Left Jan 23.jpg
Right Jan 23.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back