Need an ID confirmation.

  • Thread starter Thread starter donnievaz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

donnievaz

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2016
Messages
983
Reaction score
742
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told this was a Crocea clam when I bought it. After doing a little research I think it may be a Maxima. I really don't care either way. I got it for a steal and love it but it would be nice to know exactly what it is.

2016-08-06 22-28-10 -0400.jpg
 
I'm pretty sure that's a maxima based on color -- the ridges indicate to me as well but I'm not an expert
 
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I got the clam and a few nice frags for $30 from a local guy that was tearing his tank down. :D
 
Hard to tell from pic but I think it's a maxima. The telltale difference is the ribbing on the shell, maximas have fingernails and crocea are smoother
 
My best guess is a crocea. Ridges on the shells can depend on the amount of flow. Only true way to tell is by checking the bysal opening on the bottom of the clam.
 
A+^^^^^ Crocea.
 
Crocea. Beaut at that. These guys love light! Max size is around 6" and they can live a long time. I miss mine after 9years it passed (was full 6" when I got it too). Good luck! Nice score!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new