Need an id if possible

Pirate Randy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2015
Messages
49
Reaction score
14
Location
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I found this in my tank. It is a molt but I have not seen the real thing. Can someone tell me what it is from the molt and also, do I need to worry about trying to locate and remove it.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451659746.379937.jpg
 
Looks like a rock crab :-) watch those guys! Oh and they can get big
 
Mithrax ruber?

Google image them, I think some call them scarlet crab (as opposed to emerald crab because they look similar)
 
I thought it looked like a red mithrax as well. I'd hope for the rock crab though, catch that puppy and throw it in the sump and fatten him up. Drop in boiling water and serve.
 
So far I am guessing that all it has done is scavenge some morsels that were not eaten my the other inhabitants. I am a little fearful that it might get an appetite for my zoas/palys. Then I would be mad.
 
Pluck it out if in doubt!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new