Need an ID on this colony

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paperfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paperfish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2021
Messages
18
Reaction score
5
Location
Belgium
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fellow reefers,

I recently purchased a soft coral that was labelled as Xenia... when I look into it in detail, I start to wonder if this one is not a xenia but a clove polyp colony. I count 8 polyps and it doesn't seem to pulsate in a medium flow environment.

Can some of you experienced reefers have a look at my pic?

Cheers guys!

IMG_20211215_222703__01.jpg
 
I can't really tell since the pic isn't great quality. However, I found this nugget that can help you ID them:
"The key difference between xeniids and clove polyps is that Xenia is contractile and clove polyps are retractile. That means that when they close up, Xenia deflates the stalk and shrinks down, but the tentacles are not retracted into the base. Clove polyps retract the stalk and tentacles into the base."
 
Hi T-J!

Tnx for the info. Will have a closer look and post a pic when daylight is enabled ;)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new