Need an ID on this pretty please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Connie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
58
Location
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the crappy picture, but I think you can make out enough to ID. This pic doesn't do this piece justice either. I know it is a montipora, but what type? I have had it for a few months, but have never seen another one like it. Thanks for your help!

 
Are you sure it's not a Pachyseris Coral/Elephant skin?
 
There are a lot of coral that encrust plate etc like montipora but Im 100% it's not a montipora species. Do you have another pic?
 
I think you hit the nail on the head. I googled Pachyseris and it does resemble that. My water is cloudy right now from minor rescaping...but I will post a better pic tomorrow.
 
Articles say it's very hard to care for, but all I did was stick it in the tank and it's doing great!
 
Pththth who knows! The pic looked old taken by Bob Fenner...lol
 
Yes you're right a sps. It's another one of those weird ones like Hydnophora, Turbinaria Cup Coral. Taxonomy is a weird thing.
 
Thanks Tahoe. I said it had no polyps which is correct, as I've never seen any; however last night when feeding the corals after lights out, I found out it has some serious feeding filaments over an inch long, I just had not seen them before. Some info in case anyone is wondering.
 
Yes you're right a sps. It's another one of those weird ones like Hydnophora, Turbinaria Cup Coral. Taxonomy is a weird thing.
It's in the gray area. Which camp you shoe-horn it in is really a matter of thought.

Remember SPS and LPS are hobbyist classifications; there's nothing scientific about them!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new