Need assistance with a classroom book

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this conversation may tread political lines I am wanting the conversation to stay apolitical please. Now on to the issue:

I am a teacher at a public high school and I sponsor the Marine Biology Club.

I am trying to get a few books approved to add to my classroom library because of the bills we have here in Florida I am having some difficulty.

I am trying to get:

-The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
-The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes
-Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History

Have any teachers on here (especially in FL) had success getting Marine Biology books approved for their classroom library?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as long as it's not about sex, "gender identity ", or slavery being bad- you should be fine

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as long as it's not about sex, "gender identity ", or slavery being bad- you should be fine
Unfortunately another book was already rejected because it mentioned how some shrimp "transition" from female to male...

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's banned when it happens naturally, but also banned if it occurs by choice?..
W.T..F.
Yeah...I really need Disney to come out with Finding Nemo part 3 "Finding Marla" to help show the world how clownfish transition...

I applied for these books, which I already own, but was told the approval process was taking longer than most books because they are more complicated and the other book (was not told the title) had already been rejected because of the shrimp.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately another book was already rejected because it mentioned how some shrimp "transition" from female to male...

That's ridiculous, imo. As much as I agree about not encouraging kids to "be what they want, rather than what they are"; nature is nature, Biology is biology, history is history; education should not be restricted

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the law or the spirit of the law or the mindset of any reasonable person intended to prevent a teacher from teaching actual biology.

That said, government does what government does and people do what people do. Intended results and consequences never match. I imagine that there are a small number of well meaning people that are honestly misinterpreting things but as many or more that are rather purposefully and grossly misinterpreting to make a point and paint well-meaning people as crazy zealots. The "if we can't have our way, we will ruin everyones else's day" crowd that you find in every facet of life.

I would bet that the rejections are not actually coming from decision makers who "support" the law, but from disgruntled decision makers that want to clown the law and frustrate everyone.

Maybe check out Calfo's books.
Burgess's "Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes" is a staple.
James Fatherree's Clams books are great as well.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While still wanting to stay apolitical, my district is very much politically aligned with Florida's current lawmakers and have also said that they are making "overly cautious" decisions regarding all materials (books, videos, magazines, etc) in order to get into any sort of trouble with the state.
I don't think the law or the spirit of the law or the mindset of any reasonable person intended to prevent a teacher from teaching actual biology.

That said, government does what government does and people do what people do. Intended results and consequences never match. I imagine that there are a small number of well meaning people that are honestly misinterpreting things but as many or more that are rather purposefully and grossly misinterpreting to make a point and paint well-meaning people as crazy zealots. The "if we can't have our way, we will ruin everyones else's day" crowd that you find in every facet of life.

I would bet that the rejections are not actually coming from decision makers who "support" the law, but from disgruntled decision makers that want to clown the law and frustrate everyone.

Maybe check out Calfo's books.
Burgess's "Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes" is a staple.
James Fatherree's Clams books are great as well.
Thank you for those recommendations. My students are wanting to restart a breeding program that we had going from the pre-Covid cutbacks where we were asked to do the bare minimum (cut all the way back to just our display tanks). At the time the students were able to reference these books but our legislation now does not allow them to until they have been approved and that process is taking a really long time for these books.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back