Need Coral Photography Help

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D5100 with a Nikkor 40mm Macro lens. I have tried several methods of setting the white balance with no success in getting good color rendition. I haven't found much further help with google other than general explanations on how to set the white balance. Can someone help?

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nikon doesn't do great with white balance. There are filters you can get though. Seen a post on here recently about them

finnerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D5100 with a Nikkor 40mm Macro lens. I have tried several methods of setting the white balance with no success in getting good color rendition. I haven't found much further help with google other than general explanations on how to set the white balance. Can someone help?

Photograph a piece of white paper on auto. You may have to turn off auto focus to get the shot. Be sure to fill the frame. Then perform a custom white balance as per the camera. This should get you close.

To get a better result you will likely need to gel the lens. You can order a Rosco sample pack which will allow you to experiment with different orange gels to see what works for your lights/camera combination. When using gels from this book I cut the gel in half, leaving one half in the book for reference. I like the look that the Light Straw filter gives for my set up. These gels can also make your cell phone photography in the tank better as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-keywords=Rosco+Large+3x6"+Cinegel+Swatchbook

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you adjust the white balance in post processing? Much easier that way as the camera won't have the preset for the color of your tank lights

OP
OP
C

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you adjust the white balance in post processing? Much easier that way as the camera won't have the preset for the color of your tank lights

I have looked in to this and it is probably the way to go. Any suggestions on a program that doesn't cost $120/year?

OP
OP
C

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photograph a piece of white paper on auto. You may have to turn off auto focus to get the shot. Be sure to fill the frame. Then perform a custom white balance as per the camera. This should get you close.

To get a better result you will likely need to gel the lens. You can order a Rosco sample pack which will allow you to experiment with different orange gels to see what works for your lights/camera combination. When using gels from this book I cut the gel in half, leaving one half in the book for reference. I like the look that the Light Straw filter gives for my set up. These gels can also make your cell phone photography in the tank better as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-keywords=Rosco+Large+3x6"+Cinegel+Swatchbook

I have that book and agree light straw is a great choice. A friend gave it to me to play with last week. I am going to order a couple gels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back