Need emergency help

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my 2 tanks is in my bedroom. They tore out the carpet and started putting wood floors in. Woke up this morning and found the water all cloudy. Assuming from the glue vapors they were using.

What percentage water change should I do? Any chemicals I can add like prime or anything? Anything else?

Making water as we speak. It's a red sea 170, 40 gallons or so.

Will have 16gallons made in about an hour.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10% water change twice with 5-6 hours gap will dilute any chemical and start running activated carbon immediately.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windows open, carbon running should be able to do 25% water change in next hour.

Other problem is they aren't done in there. Probably another day of working

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windows open, carbon running should be able to do 25% water change in next hour.

Other problem is they aren't done in there. Probably another day of working
If you can put a exhaust fan in window. And maybe shut off skimmer for the day so you're not sucking more of the contaminated air into the system, could be wrong, just a thought.
Good luck!

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be the glue vapor since most are water based glues ( I'm a floor installer ) imo it could be the dust that was in the carpet that went airborne and found its way into your system. I'd run carbon and some filter floss on your drain side but I'd probably still do a small water change, dilution is the solution to pollution

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they put the finish on the wood you'll definitely need to enclose your tank and maybe run some air stones with air from the outside. The stains and polyurethane will have harmful vapors. ( sorry missed the part of hardwood getting installed ) some wood glues are very toxic as well.
Is there a way you could relocate the tank to another section that's not getting remodeled ?

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Toomanyfish, it sounds more like dust from the carpet and padding. We have hardwood floors, but when I run the vacuum I end up with a lot of dust in the tank (the exhaust from the vacuum tends to blow dust into the air, I will the vacuum companies would make. A better design). At first I could not figure out what was causing all the particles in the tank, then I realized what was happening.

Having ripped up carpet a few times, I can only imagine what all was floating around the room. And if the tank was not covered a lot of stuff probably settled in the water. This could include pieces of carpet and padding also.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge can step in, but I would think all the stuff going in the tank could cause a nutrient spike/ammonia spike/bacteria bloom perhaps?

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's not the glue and is particles. I was out of town and asked wife to cover it and of course she didn't.

So should I turn skimmer on or leave it off??

No way to relocate tank, they should be done in there by this afternoon.

It's engineered hardwood so there won't be any finishing of the wood.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll do a 50% water change as soon as they leave this afternoon.

Should I leave the lights off for the day?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll do a 50% water change as soon as they leave this afternoon.

Should I leave the lights off for the day?

It would probably stress the inhabitants less and I'd run the skimmer as long as you know there's no dust in the air

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided its not particles, there's no dust on the TV on the wall or anything. Has to be from the glue fumes.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did 50% water change. Still looks terrible. Not sure what else to do besides daily water changes.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it's the fumes and not something else going wrong? Check all your parameters - temp, sg, ammonia, kh, especially. What kind of fish do you have, what symptoms, what coral and other invert symptoms, any possibility that the sand could be getting stirred up? Powerhead fallen, doser gone rogue, etc?

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it's the fumes and not something else going wrong? Check all your parameters - temp, sg, ammonia, kh, especially. What kind of fish do you have, what symptoms, what coral and other invert symptoms, any possibility that the sand could be getting stirred up? Powerhead fallen, doser gone rogue, etc?
100% sure it was the glue vapors, way to much a coincidence. The room was shut up overnight after installing 700 Sq ft of wood with glue. It was 45 degrees out last night and it didn't dawn on me that the fumes would do this. Woke up this am and tank is all milky looking.

Even after 2 water changes it doesn't look any better. fish don't seem to mind it as crazy as that sounds. Corals aren't dead or anything just not nearly as open as usual.

3 candy cane corals. 5 different zoas, cloves, birds nest and setosa. Oh and a couple micromussas.

Fish are 3 pajama cardinals, a Ruby wrasse, and a small tang

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back