Need emergency help

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure nothing spawned in the tank? Had a bubble tip spawn and my tank looked like I dumped milk in it, couldn't see anything

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why hasn't it gotten any better after changing atleast 60% of the water?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your inhabitants don't look affected don't stress too much , just keep running carbon and doing water changes. Changing too much too fast might be worse than what's going on in there right now

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f48972631c4f5854759a9b96bd111e80.jpg

I know it doesn't look that bad in this pic. But if u look at the top it shows it murky. With the lights on earlier I couldn't see the other side of the tank.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it looking now?
A little better but still murky. Fish are acting normal and eating. Some of the zoas are closed up, some are open. Candy canes are in between.

Changed carbon this morning. Going to do another 25% water change tonight.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did one last 25% water change today. Water is back to clear. Some of the zoas are only half opened but think everything survived. When I restarted skimmer after 2 days it went a little crazy but has settled down.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear
Agonizing seeing what we care for not doing good :)

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, still fighting this thing. I think now that the fumes from the glue caused some type of algae or bacteria bloom as someone had suggested before. Water started to get a little bit cloudy again and then I left town for 4 days. My wife told me there was a white slime all over the sump and some in the tank. When I got home I found a ton of white, whisky slime all over the filter sock and other places. Did a complete cleanup of entire sump and all equipment. Then did a 25% water change and new carbon. Water is still cloudy. Nowhere near as bad as it was the day after the floors went in, but still cloudy. Not sure what to do at this point. Might run gfo to take any phosphates away from whatever this is. No matter what I try water is cloudy.

Here is a picture of white slime on filter sock.
54d1f00b92c9739f84e411e56c0a1233.jpg

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad have you seen anything like this?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bacteria bloom from the flooring glue. Most wood flooring glues contain polyurethane. With these vapors in the air, the gas exchange on the tank will keep pulling the organics in. You are effectively vodka dosing your tank and will continue to have problems until the floor glue is fully cured. Unfortunately, that can take quite awhile.

You might be able to get a replacement air filter from Lowes or Home Depot designed to remove VOC's and rig up a filter on your skimmer airline. That might help. Maybe some filters like this (link) shoved into a 2 liter bottle and your air line connected to it.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bacteria bloom from the flooring glue. Most wood flooring glues contain polyurethane. With these vapors in the air, the gas exchange on the tank will keep pulling the organics in. You are effectively vodka dosing your tank and will continue to have problems until the floor glue is fully cured. Unfortunately, that can take quite awhile.

You might be able to get a replacement air filter from Lowes or Home Depot designed to remove VOC's and rig up a filter on your skimmer airline. That might help. Maybe some filters like this (link) shoved into a 2 liter bottle and your air line connected to it.
Ok, thanks. I'll try that.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow good to know!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back