NEED HELP EMERGENCY! Flourish Iron/ cheato grow killing my tangs!

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I'm just worried with even dosing cheato grow. I don't want to dose anything extra right now after what happened. I just threw the flourish Iron bottle out. I'm just going to set up my auto water change and hope that Provides enough for the cheato. I use a good salt so hopefully that works.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I'm just worried with even dosing cheato grow. I don't want to dose anything extra right now after what happened. I just threw the flourish Iron bottle out. I'm just going to set up my auto water change and hope that Provides enough for the cheato. I use a good salt so hopefully that works.
ChetoGrow is SAFE as long as you dose per instructions. Iron supplements are also safe as long as dosed correctly.

I saw your thread on Reddit about this issue. In that thread you guys state that it was a LFS in Colorado Springs that recommended you dose Florish. You need to bring this issue up with the store. They need to be aware they are killing expensive livestock by giving out bad advice.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChetoGrow is SAFE as long as you dose per instructions. Iron supplements are also safe as long as dosed correctly.

I saw your thread on Reddit about this issue. In that thread you guys state that it was a LFS in Colorado Springs that recommended you dose Florish. You need to bring this issue up with the store. They need to be aware they are killing expensive livestock by giving out bad advice.
Yah I live in the springs and bought it from seascape aquatics. I go there alot and they are mainly saltwater. I told them I wanted iron for my cheato and I asked the owner about the product and he said that's what he recommended. Next time I go I'm going to let him know.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed 2 cap fulls of flourish and a few cap fulls of cheato grow in my 160 gallon probably 130 gallons of water volume. Water turned a little cloudy, I turned on a carbon reactor to clear it up. ORP went immediately down when I dosed it and reactor cleared it up a little. Hours later my little blue hippo is dead and my yellow tang is on the verge of death. I separated the yellow tang out and put him in a bucket with fresh saltwater. I'm doing a massive water change. Is there any advice for why this happened or anything else I can do for my tank. All other fish are fine. I do have a powder blue but he seems fine for now. Any help or advice is welcome. I've read iron supplements can hurt tangs???
IMO you shouldn't have dosed either of those like ever. The chaeto will grow with good light and if nitrates are low they will chill till they're higher. Also if nitrates are too low (<1ppm) you can also dose potassium nitrate safely to bring it up. Anything else doesn't have a place in a reef tank.

As far as a short term solution I would be pulling the fish out of that tank followed by large water changes. I don't usually recommend plucking the fish out of their tank but this is an exception.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you shouldn't have dosed either of those like ever. The chaeto will grow with good light and if nitrates are low they will chill till they're higher. Also if nitrates are too low (<1ppm) you can also dose potassium nitrate safely to bring it up. Anything else doesn't have a place in a reef tank.

As far as a short term solution I would be pulling the fish out of that tank followed by large water changes. I don't usually recommend plucking the fish out of their tank but this is an exception.
It will eventually strip trace elements and melt. It might not be something that is able to happen in all systems, but it happened to mine. My chaeto is almost 4% of my total volume though.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eventually strip trace elements and melt. It might not be something that is able to happen in all systems, but it happened to mine. My chaeto is almost 4% of my total volume though.
Though I shouldn't assume, I did assume there were at least some minor water changes with reef salt that would eliminate this challenge. Just wanted to focus on the fish health because the chaeto is far better to replace if it melts than a yellow tang!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, iron can readily become limiting to macroalgae. Some folks have seen macroalgae green up and grow faster within a day or two of initiating iron dosing.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used flourish in reef but have used many gallons of chaetogro over the years on a doser and sold thousands of $$$ of extra chaeto before shutting system down here and on eBay along with keeping yellow tangs in system without any issue so I am skeptical it was the chaetogro. Perhaps flourish as I can’t vouch for that, but I have used so much chaetogro over the years in sps systems, fish only, clam, and softie systems I am quite skeptical it was the chaetogro unless it was a bad bottle somehow.

I couldn’t get chaeto to live for long before chaetogro fwiw.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flourish is a Freshwater trace for FW planted tanks and should not be used in saltwater and may have had adverse effects if overdosed. Water changes and carbon will help with reduction/removal
I'm considering using a bottle of Seachem Flourish I have on hand, Although it is marketed as a freshwater supplement it claims to contain only ferrous gluconate, which is the form of iron recommended by all for marine use. Unfortunately, the individual who started this thread dosed 10ml into a 130 gallons of water, I'm targeting 3ug/L, which is considered, by many, the high side of natural seawater, their dose was over 60x of that. If Seachem Flourish contains only ferrous gluconate in the concentration they have listed it appears to me the issues people have had is with the math in using something that is highly concentrated at 10mg/ml? In order to increase my 300g tank by 3ug/L, my target, I would only add 0.345ml of Flourish.

I wanted to re-start this discussion to see if I'm missing something concerning the use of Flourish? Brightwell's ChaetoGro appears to be a very effective product, but it is very diluted and therefore not a value in my case,

Last edited:
OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering using a bottle of Seachem Flourish I have on hand, Although it is marketed as a freshwater supplement it claims to contain only ferrous gluconate, which is the form of iron recommended by all for marine use. Unfortunately, the individual who started this thread dosed 10ml into a 130 gallons of water, I'm targeting 3ug/L, which is considered, by many, the high side of natural seawater, their dose was over 60x of that. If Seachem Flourish contains only ferrous gluconate in the concentration they have listed it appears to me the issues people have had is with the math in using something that is highly concentrated at 10mg/ml? In order to increase my 300g tank by 3ug/L, my target, I would only add 0.345ml of Flourish.

I wanted to re-start this discussion to see if I'm missing something concerning the use of Flourish? Brightwell's ChaetoGro appears to be a very effective product, but it is very diluted and therefore not a value in my case,
My advice is throw that crap in the trash can. I have used cheatogro without issues. I don't trust flourish

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see anything wrong with your math, or with using ferrous gluconate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back