Cheato Gro cloudy water - Carbon Source?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Guaranteed Analysis​

0-0-1.30; Potassium (K) as Soluble Potash (K2O) (min) 1.30%; Boron 0.009%; Carbon 0.005%; Calcium 0.14%; Chlorine 0.39%; Cobalt 0.0004%; Iron 0.1%; Magnesium 0.4%; Manganese 0.0475%; Molybdenum 0.004%; Sulfur 0.16%; Zinc 0.002%.

Every time I dose this I get a cloudy bacterial bloom that lasts the entire day but clears up the following day.

I’m wondering if a bacteria bloom can occur that quickly? Do you think the carbon in the Cheato Gro causes this?

Ps. Bacteria bloom is neither good nor bad to me. I just want to understand what’s happening.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every time I dose this I get a cloudy bacterial bloom that lasts the entire day but clears up the following day.

I’m wondering if a bacteria bloom can occur that quickly? Do you think the carbon in the Cheato Gro causes this?

Ps. Bacteria bloom is neither good nor bad to me. I just want to understand what’s happening.

How quickly does the water become cloudy?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within an hour.
That fast makes me think it is a chemical reaction, though how the heck could trace elements cause a precipitate? If you added 1/2 as much would the cloudiness be 1/2 or disappear?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fast makes me think it is a chemical reaction, though how the heck could trace elements cause a precipitate? If you added 1/2 as much would the cloudiness be 1/2 or disappear?
It would basically be the same cloudiness. I tried doing that last time.

I follow the bare minimum directions and under dose if anything. They want me to dose 5mL/20 gallons twice a week. I just dose that once a week. That instruction was for the first week. I’m actually “supposed” to dose more.

Next time I dose it I will take pictures of the progression of the cloudiness with time stamps.

But in my experience, not even carbon dosing causes such rapid cloudiness. The cloudiness begins from when I just add the dosage, but it doesn’t get noticeable until after an hour. After a few hours it gets cloudy cloudy.

And note that I run an oversized UV sterilizer 24/7. I don’t get bacterial blooms ever except when dosing cheato gro.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have above average ph (max is 8.35). I dose sodium hydroxide spread out dropped slowly with a 2.2mL/min dosing pump. My alk is 7.6-7.8 on average.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would basically be the same cloudiness. I tried doing that last time.

I follow the bare minimum directions and under dose if anything. They want me to dose 5mL/20 gallons twice a week. I just dose that once a week. That instruction was for the first week. I’m actually “supposed” to dose more.

Next time I dose it I will take pictures of the progression of the cloudiness with time stamps.

But in my experience, not even carbon dosing causes such rapid cloudiness. The cloudiness begins from when I just add the dosage, but it doesn’t get noticeable until after an hour. After a few hours it gets cloudy cloudy.

And note that I run an oversized UV sterilizer 24/7. I don’t get bacterial blooms ever except when dosing cheato gro.
Just for reference, I am dosing 8 mL per week for almost 100 gallons. I have 5 L of Ulva. Maybe there is room to back off your dose a bit at least temporarily to see how the tank responds.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference, I am dosing 8 mL per week for almost 100 gallons. I have 5 L of Ulva. Maybe there is room to back off your dose a bit at least temporarily to see how the tank responds.
Oh dear, if I had your tank size I would be dosing 25mL.

I don’t even have Ulva/macro algae. Dang. I’m definitely overdoing it by basically following the bottle directions.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back