I Need Help :(

Virgs0608

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns had what I was confident were burn marks, as they showed up after I got some new corals and they were showing no signs of anything and were acting and eating fine. Last night I noticed one of them looked bloated after eating, but it was immediately after and it's a bit of a glutton so I figured I would watch and wait, and planned to get peas today.

This morning I woke up to the one with the bloated belly stuck against the overflow (which I know is never a good sign), and neither ate this morning. The sicker one is hugging the walls, and the other one seems to almost be tending to it.

I'm not able to be home, so I'm talking hubby through getting the hospital tank set, doing a FW dip, and I'm getting kanaplex prazipro, and melafix.

Does this look like black ich? There is no crystalization they talk about, and from everything I've read it's super rare in clowns, and even if they do get it they tend to recover perfectly fine. I have no idea how/why this could have happened

Fluval EVO 13.5, set up about 6 months with no signs of disease. Phos has been high, but stable, and I'm working (unsuccessfully) to get it down. It's been hovering at .18- 22 for weeks.

Parameters (as of Saturday when I did a water change) are as follows, using a combination of Hanna, Red Sea, and Salifert tests:

Phos .26
Mag 1200
Ca 380
Alk 8.9
Nitrates 20
Sal 1.024
Temp 79.8 this morning, unplugged the heater (usually around 78, and that's where it was when I checked it last night).

I haven't had ammo or nitrites in months, so I stopped testing those, and everything was fine prior to WC on Saturday. I did a 2gal change using the same salt (Coral Pro), and it's not a new bucket. I did get some new corals a few weeks ago - one had aiptasia on it, but I glued it down (in a separate dish, in case it spawned), and everything was dipped. Only other residents are inverts.

Pic of the fish with spots, and the one will a swollen belly (paint spatter on the left), and a pic of the tank to show general setup. That pic is a bit older, there are now several more corals, softies and a candy cane that is new.

20240317_175726(0).jpg
20240208_175830.jpg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does appear that way. Here is the recommended treatment and I'll tag the professor to ensure no other concerns. @Jay Hemdal

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked kinda large for black ick, cant see if those spots are raised. Remind me of hypermelanization from maybe a torch. Location is mostly lower belly.

Any chance she’s carrying eggs for spawn?

Hopefully the gurus will chime in there for you.
@vetteguy53081

OP
OP
V

Virgs0608

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! FW dip didn't coax anything out/off, so I do think it's stings like I originally thought.

Also gave her some peas, fingers crossed it works. A few people have suggested eggs - they're in a bare QT tank right now, should I add in something for her to lay on? I don't want her to get bound if she isn't already.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the black spots are too large yo be black ich (turbellarians) and clowns don’t often get that disease. Looks like hypermelanization - do you have any stinging LPS in the tank?
The bloating is a separate issue, I’m not sure what’s up with that.

OP
OP
V

Virgs0608

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the black spots are too large yo be black ich (turbellarians) and clowns don’t often get that disease. Looks like hypermelanization - do you have any stinging LPS in the tank?
The bloating is a separate issue, I’m not sure what’s up with that.
Just candy canes, but everything I've read says they aren't super aggressive, and their sweepers are short. Only other corals are toadstool, zoas, and cloves.

I was able to get them to eat the peas, and the bloated one is no longer bloated. They're visually back to normal (outside the black marks), but they're agitated and not really eating much.

They love instant baby brine, and I just opened a new jar a few days ago - now I'm wondering if it could be that. I just tossed the jar, so we'll see what happens over the next few days.

OP
OP
V

Virgs0608

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all of the help. Both are completely back to normal (aside from the marks), eating as usual, and acting like the little weirdos they are.

Attachments

• 20240320_162847.jpg
    20240320_162847.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 9

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back