Need filter socks suggestions for red sea sump

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4" socks from my LFS dont fit and neither do the 4" from bulk reef supply.

Anyone have a link to quality 3rd party filter socks that fit in a red sea sump?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't like the Red Sea filter socks?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think red sea makes an adapter to use other socks. At least i think ive seen them maybe someone else makes them. I dont have a red sea so this is just build thread viewing.

Rpc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I ever did on my Reefer was to install filter cups and run floss. No more cleaning socks I just throw out the floss every other day and it’s super cheap.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I ever did on my Reefer was to install filter cups and run floss. No more cleaning socks I just throw out the floss every other day and it’s super cheap.

That’s exactly what I did with my Reefer 250!!! :)

By the way, do you roll your floss and put the roll in vertically or cut large squares and stuff them in?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I did with my Reefer 250!!! :)

By the way, do you roll your floss and put the roll in vertically or cut large squares and stuff them in?

In a hobby where most are concerned about the fate of our reefs and oceans that is A LOT of micro plastics waste especially if youre replacing it often.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the 225 micron Red Sea mesh socks are very easy to maintain - just rinse and turn inside out under running water. I used the two that came with my tank (RSR 250) for the first year and have now bought a spare pair and also a 100 micron pair of socks. At the moment I am running the mesh and cleaning every 2nd day as I am clearing up a GHA issue. I swap the clean pair for the dirty, rinse and clean the dirty and hang them outside under shelter to dry. Repeat every 2-3 days.

Once the tank starts running clean I will try swapping in the 100 micron socks to polish the water. If that works then I will simply swap the mesh back in when I want to clean the socks (expect weekly), rinse and bleach the socks and then swap them back in a day or so later. When we go away I will simply go back to the mesh for convenience of the house sitter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back