Need help and opinions with a new frag tank set up!!

ScottCRRT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon frag tank I have just set up. It has a Sump with approximately 35-40 lbs. of LR in it for filtration purposes. I decided to go bare-bottom without a sand bet for ease of maintainance. The tank is cycled, and I have a six-line Wrasse currently in it. I have not moved over the frags yet, but am rethinking some things. I have eggrate raised off the bottom approx. 3". There is no skimmer in the sump.

I am wondering, (as everyone seems to with frag tanks) should I switch to using a sand bed? Should I use a skimmer in the Sump? I plan on keeping the six-line and possibly a tang in there for clean up, but figured I might not need to skim since it's such a small system, and I could do good sized water changes weekly to take care of this. Should I use a clean up crew? Snails, crabs, cleaner shrimp, etc?

Thanks for your help and comments, please feel free to add something that I may have forgotten.

Scott

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can play this any way you like, it all works. Many have tanks set up just like yours, others use skimmers or sand beds or whatever. A tang won't do well in that small a tank though.

Jeff

OP
OP
S

ScottCRRT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I decided to just stick with the six-line, some snails and a couple crabs. No sand bed and no skimmer. Think it should work well.

dmorazan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can hook up the main system and frag tank to make it a one system them you have everything the same.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back