What is the best size frag tank 4'x4' or 6'x2'

Nohatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to purchase a frag tank and was wondering what size of tank works best for flow, and lighting between a 4'x4' and a 6'x2'? It will be used for sps grow out and frags. Please let me know your experiences of what has worked and what has not. Thanks in advance

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say the same about walking around it. plus the light spread on the wider tank might mean additional lights might not. also depends on how much room you have where you put it. Sump? what are you planning there, most are longer and narrow versus short and deep (front to back depth).
gonna add how high will it be off the ground? with a very wide tank you gotta be able to reach across for corals, I would struggle just not that tall or long armed.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a flow and lighting efficiency standpoint, narrower. But if this is also for aesthetic and you like the 4'x4' dimension, then go for it. For me, 4'x4' would be odd in any room in my house. I'd want to run it like a peninsula and have full access to 3 sides. With the narrower one, it would just be along a wall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back