Need help brainstorming something "weird" for 90g

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my Lion fish passed away today. I only had him a year and expected him to live at least 10. It was very unlikely a disease as I never added so much as a snail to the tank and even used some of the water from his tank to increase nitrates in my reef. He stopped eating then just dropped dead. He was his tank as the only occupied with no corals. I am not going to run out and get something tomorrow as I am in the middle of nowhere and even shipping here is problematic. I just want to throw some ideas around. The tank is in my living room so I don't want to leave it with just live rock forever..

Reef safe is not important and I could or could not add corals. I don't have proper lighting over the tank but it has a massively oversized skimmer so in theory I could throw some black boxes over the tank and add coral. It's a custom 3x2x2. I actually thought about just moving my numerous softies out of my main reef tank, but this tank has always been my weird tank. Prior to the lion it housed garden eels, before them I kept 2 different octopus, and before the octopus I raised dwarf cuttlefish.

My first thought was Rhinopias, but I believe they are pretty expensive? I would prefer the cost to be moderate but for the right item I'd be willing to spend a reasonable amount. It can be a single fish, a group of fish, or not a fish at all. Reef safe doesn't matter. It also can't need live food forever since I can't source that locally. Starting on live food is fine though. I guess the other option is another lion but I am open to anything that can comfortably fit in the tank.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my Lion fish passed away today. I only had him a year and expected him to live at least 10. It was very unlikely a disease as I never added so much as a snail to the tank and even used some of the water from his tank to increase nitrates in my reef. He stopped eating then just dropped dead. He was his tank as the only occupied with no corals. I am not going to run out and get something tomorrow as I am in the middle of nowhere and even shipping here is problematic. I just want to throw some ideas around. The tank is in my living room so I don't want to leave it with just live rock forever..

Reef safe is not important and I could or could not add corals. I don't have proper lighting over the tank but it has a massively oversized skimmer so in theory I could throw some black boxes over the tank and add coral. It's a custom 3x2x2. I actually thought about just moving my numerous softies out of my main reef tank, but this tank has always been my weird tank. Prior to the lion it housed garden eels, before them I kept 2 different octopus, and before the octopus I raised dwarf cuttlefish.

My first thought was Rhinopias, but I believe they are pretty expensive? I would prefer the cost to be moderate but for the right item I'd be willing to spend a reasonable amount. It can be a single fish, a group of fish, or not a fish at all. Reef safe doesn't matter. It also can't need live food forever since I can't source that locally. Starting on live food is fine though. I guess the other option is another lion but I am open to anything that can comfortably fit in the tank.
How long did you have the garden eels?

Do you test your water at least on a monthly basis?

For unusual maybe a Mantis shrimp or leaf fish?

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the garden eels about 4 years maybe a little longer. I had to give them away when I moved long distance. Just couldn't deal with the 100s of lbs of live sand. I would love to do them again one day but I'd want to be 100% sure I am in forever home which at this point I am not.

The fish only I very rarely test. There was just one lion in the tank and any uneaten food was removed. I test my reef weekly but really the only thing in the fowlr I watched for was nitrates not reaching toxic levels and salinity and temp. If I was dumping food, or had something more sensitive in the tank then sure I'd test weekly but that would be based on what's in the tank and if anything is changing in it. I'll be honest mantis shrimp scare me a little, maybe a show sized peacock would be nice, but I'm not sure if one would be too small for a 90 gallon. Leaf fish is an option.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back