Need Help:Can my counter hold up?

Jonathan1236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all-I am looking to get back into the hobby after a 30 year hiatus. The only place in my house that works for a tank is on a bar counter in my kitchen. It has a 2cm Marble counter supported by two 3/4” plywood cabinets.

I am looking at the Waterbox 50.3 and the IM40…would prefer to go with the larger one but concerned about weight.

Anyone have success in a similar situation or have a perspective if the counter will support the weight?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all-I am looking to get back into the hobby after a 30 year hiatus. The only place in my house that works for a tank is on a bar counter in my kitchen. It has a 2cm Marble counter supported by two 3/4” plywood cabinets.

I am looking at the Waterbox 50.3 and the IM40…would prefer to go with the larger one but concerned about weight.

Anyone have success in a similar situation or have a perspective if the counter will support the weight?
I think you should be fine! I dont see any damage to the counter as long as it is in the middle of the counter and you shouldnt have damage from water unless theres a crack or a leak. If youre worried about it get a leveling mat under the tank to stop the water and stuff! Ive got a 32 biocube on a dresser thats way smaller than yours and nonissues

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably work. If the countertops are pretty standard width then the tank would have 3 inches or less on each side. The tank would weigh about 500lbs give or take.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't trust it if it's JUST the stone. That is a lot of weight on a rather thin, fragile, stone slab. I would wager the cabinets themselves would likely be fine.

Can you reinforce the slab from underneath the counter top at all or is it reinforced already? Some counter installs have the stone sitting ontop of plywood, some don't.

I'm betting you might be in for some discoloring of the counter as well. I can only speak from my experience with Marble and atleast for me, If you just look at Marble it stains. Once you get saltwater, test kits and other additives and chemicals around it. It probably won't fair very well.

I don't want to be a debbie downer, Just trying to think of every angle.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan1236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't trust it if it's JUST the stone. That is a lot of weight on a rather thin, fragile, stone slab. I would wager the cabinets themselves would likely be fine.

Can you reinforce the slab from underneath the counter top at all or is it reinforced already? Some counter installs have the stone sitting ontop of plywood, some don't.

I'm betting you might be in for some discoloring of the counter as well. I can only speak from my experience with Marble and atleast for me, If you just look at Marble it stains. Once you get saltwater, test kits and other additives and chemicals around it. It probably won't fair very well.

I don't want to be a debbie downer, Just trying to think of every angle.
Good points, thank you. The marble is reinforced with plywood currently (should have mentioned that).

The discoloration is a good point and something I need to think through. Thank you.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points, thank you. The marble is reinforced with plywood currently (should have mentioned that).

The discoloration is a good point and something I need to think through. Thank you.

You could maybe make a plywood base for the tank that is the width of the counter and maybe extends an extra 6 orso inches on either side or front of the tank, whichever side of the marble is exposed. Routed or edged to look nice and painted. Maybe clear acrylic sheet instead of plywood?

Or heck have a thin piece of engineered quartz made up to match something similar to the marble look. Polished as well. It would protect the Marble and still look REALLY nice. Lots of options out there :)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it natural Mable or a man-made quartz made to look like Marble? If it is natural, I would not use it since it is very soft and porous. A sealent will not even protect natural Marble since even vegetable oil will soak all the way through a slab and right into your cabinet drawers.

If it is a man-made quartz you will be fine since they are harder and non-porous.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back