Will this hold or buckle in the middle?

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, has been a while since I have had a tank and this time around the kids and wife surprised me with a freshwater instead of salt. So as most of you know, when you get bit you get bit . Planing for a 55-60 gallon instead of the 30 but was curious on everyone’s take to whether this spot will hold? It’s two kitchen cabinets with a piece of granite counter top on it. A 55 will be roughly 48” long and should put each end smack dab in the middle of the cabinets.

My concern in for the center that looks to be unsupported under the granite. Do I toss a piece of plywood w a load bearing jack or is it sufficient ?

I appreciate any help, have a great one

Regards,
Keith

IMG_1529.jpeg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer:
Most of the weight will be transferred vertically to the cabinets. The vertical side panels of the tank will prevent significant load on the span.

That said, granite is not "solid" and is full of micro cracks and fissures. It has very poor strength in bending. So I would not (under any circumstances) use it unsupported. If it DOES fail, it will do so catastrophically and that may cause the tank to fail in the same manner.

I don't agree with the posts above. Those cabinets can hold the weight without issue in vertical compression and have decent lateral stability.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, I would not sit on that span. No two pieces are the same. One may hold just fine and the other may end up in your lap as you butt hits the floor between the two cabinets. The rule of thumb for that thickness of granite is 8" to 10" unsupported. Yes, we span 24" dishwasher spaces, but typically use a support runner on the wall side.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanks for the speedy responses. I thought that mid section could present the problem area. Do you think a ply wood board cut to shape to fill in the underneath and then use a load bearing jack would be sufficient?

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinets drawers and faces are plywood, the sides look to be plywood as well. I have made the mistake of getting mdf cabinets wet when a child spills the dog water and instantly realize the down side. These don’t look to be mdf sides or feel like such.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinets drawers and faces are plywood, the sides look to be plywood as well. I have made the mistake of getting mdf cabinets wet when a child spills the dog water and instantly realize the down side. These don’t look to be mdf sides or feel like such.
It doesn't matter. MDF will carry the vertical load as well. There are 4 vertical columns stabilized by 2 backs and 2 face frames and 2 bottoms.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be ok. I’ve seen some rough setups, literally glass top table with center support & somehow the owner had it going for 15years with out cracking the glass or flipping the table. But I would be more worried about that outlet underneath, electrical fires & that I have seen plenty of because of negligence. A friends house burnt down because of not running a gfi on a fridge hooked outside under a porch. Also small fires from tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back