Need Help. Chalice Tissue is Receding

njhcnwk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning when I looked at my frag rack, i noticed that all of my chalice frags are showing tissue recession and i'm noticing skelaton exposure. Nothing has changed recently with the exception of replacing my Current t5's with ATI Blue Plus', which seemed to make the chalice's happier. Also, 2 nights ago I dosed Oyster-feast for the first time. All my acropora have exhibited no change, so i'm guessing it isn't a water quality issue although i tested all my basic parameters and everything was in check. 75 gallon tank, 2X250w 12K MH, 4x54w t5's, Alk 7, Calcium 420-440. I'm wondering if this could be a flow issue so i moved the frag rack to an area of higher flow. This literally happened overnight and i'm really not sure what's going on.
Brian

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your mag level? Also, since you just replaced some bulbs what kind of light acclimation did you do?

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can really offer is that, were it my tank, I would watch for any further changes, and perhaps do a water change/filter with carbon. If you're lucky, it might be an anomalous reaction from some nightly activities and may improve on its own. I'd like to offer help in these situations, but I find it so difficult to diagnose anything remotely. Heck, it can be hard when it's right in front of you. If you changed those bulbs recently, they may have initially looked better, but it might be overwhelming them. I might look to that and see about letting them acclimate more slowly if you haven't. Like roshi said as well, mag levels seem to play a big role in chalice happiness.

Is it just me, or is that a lot of light for a 75g? How high up are the chalices? Are they close together, and do you have any mycedium types? I've found these can get randomly territorial and may sting other chalices if too close.

ReefRunner

Reef hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about checking the magnesium level. I try to keep mine at about 1350. A 7 alkalinity also seems a bit low. I like to stay around 8.5 to 9. If it is lower then that I see some white tips on my acros and some recession on my chalices.

Robin

OP
OP
N

njhcnwk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my alk to be 8-9 but the last few weeks i've been using lots of alk. I dose brightwell alkalin 8.3 every day at the max dose recommended and i still can't get above 7. I currently don't test for mag but i know that i should be. I also dose brightwell elemental. My frag rack is maybe 5 inches off of the sandbed and the trusty measuring tape says that the frags are 15 inches from the light fixture.

OP
OP
N

njhcnwk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your mag level? Also, since you just replaced some bulbs what kind of light acclimation did you do?

I didn't. I figured since they were so low in the tank (they're only on a frag rack so they don't get burried in the sand) acclimation wouldn't be necessary. Should I move them to the sandbed??

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much light and only 15" from the light, my gut says yeah, move them away from the light a bit.

When it comes to alk, you gotta do what you gotta do. If your tank is consuming that much alk from growth, it has to be replaced. I have to dose daily for alk and Ca to keep them from dipping too low. The Ca should be getting used in ratio with the alk if it's from coral growth. If it's not, then something else is sapping your alk and should be addressed.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that difference, I don't see why you couldn't just dose the necessary amount to bring it up. I haven't ever seen a negative reaction from dosing a proper amount of mag. Could be wrong, but...

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dosing that much for Alk and get it to go up your probably lacking in something else. I was having simular problems and dosing all this stuff my LFS was selling me to counter in and such and one day i tried the SeaLab No. 28 blocks. I know theres plenty of mixed opinions on them but all i can say from experience is it fixed my levels when dosing couldnt. It burned though the block in a matter of days when normally it takes weeks showing how low something was. After that a block every 2 weeks keeps things even...

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your parameters check out as normal, you dip the corals and still have recession. I would get out the magnifying glass and check the exposed skeleton for black bugs. I have been reading threads on them affecting acans, chalices and other lps corals. In fact we had them in our acan collection, it cost us 3 colonies and 2 partial colonies while dipping and trying other treatments before I treated the tank with Interceptor. What I have noticed is the flesh would just disappear over night with clean edges, no brown jelly associated tissue melting away.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with palancar, if you are having issues with your lps you should consider interceptor. many respected people with perfect water quality have had major issues that cannot be fixed without the interceptor. i think regular dosing as a preventative measure is a necessity... if your lps are showing ill signs you must do this. water quality is also important yes but ime most corals are adaptable and can deal with subtle changes. if you have bugs the water quality doesn't matter. also you will really have a tough time seeing these bugs as they live inside the lps so again i say use interceptor just in case

The Big Chill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef tank with many soft, LPS and SPS corals. For some reason ONLY my chalices are losing its flesh all the way to the skeleton overnight. I thought it was peppermint shrimp so I took all of mine out of the tank. A few other chalices suffered the same fate overnight without the shrimp. I am clueless.....I wake up in the middle of the night with a flashlight to see if something else is chewing the coral and never see anything. All of my other corals was doing very well...euphyllias, montiporas, acans, zoas, acroporas, pavona, leathers, mushrooms, birdsnest, blastos, duncans, candy canes, ricordea, green star polyps and a few others are all doing good....except the total decimation of my chalices!! Need help!!

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning when I looked at my frag rack, i noticed that all of my chalice frags are showing tissue recession and i'm noticing skelaton exposure. Nothing has changed recently with the exception of replacing my Current t5's with ATI Blue Plus', which seemed to make the chalice's happier. Also, 2 nights ago I dosed Oyster-feast for the first time. All my acropora have exhibited no change, so i'm guessing it isn't a water quality issue although i tested all my basic parameters and everything was in check. 75 gallon tank, 2X250w 12K MH, 4x54w t5's, Alk 7, Calcium 420-440. I'm wondering if this could be a flow issue so i moved the frag rack to an area of higher flow. This literally happened overnight and i'm really not sure what's going on.
Brian

What are your water parameters?
Salinity
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrates
Temperature

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back