Need help choosing substrate and bonding material for rock

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm having a hard time picking which substrate to use for my new tank - definitely overthinking it I'm sure, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding close up pics to help make my decision... so save my sanity and help me choose between one of these?
CaribSea Arag-alive fiji pink, Arag-alive special grade, Nature's Ocean natural white, Tropic Eden miniflakes, or Tropic Eden tonga special pink.
I'd like as close to a "natural" white as possible, and something that won't get sucked up in the gravel vac or blow all over. Don't plan on high flow.
I'm using mostly CaribSea LifeRock for rock and piece of Real Reef. Hope to snag a chunk of live rock from my boss's established reef tank BUT may not be possible. So, figuring live sand might be best with my dry rock (plus some Fritz turbo start)?
Also, has anyone scaped with LifeRock that can suggest the best thing to bond pieces together with? I really don't feel like messing with drilling into anything but want to stack it and don't want things falling apart. I've seen some "putty" like stuff that comes in purple that might blend well with the faux-coraline color of the LifeRock?

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want the substrate to get pulled into the gravel vac, I'd vote for special grade.
That's what I've heard... do I actually need to vac much though? I've read that another option could be placing a pump closer to the bottom of the tank, aimed so that it sort of blows the detritus back up so it gets sucked towards the intake? (For reference my tank is the Fluval Flex 32.5 gal).

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had your dilemma 10 years ago, and almost went for coarser sand, but I knew I'd eventually want sand sleeping Wrasses. I went with Aragamax Select grain size 0.5mm-1.5mm and have used it ever since.
It's a pain with blowing around with new tanks and positioning wave makers/powerheads, but once you have things figured out it's good.
Don't point flow at it and it's all good.
I don't vacuum and don't need to, but I do occasionally scoop out dirty spots and wash it before placing back in the tank.

If you're looking for sand that won't blow around, pick something with at least a grain size of 2mm. Larger is better, but keep in mind most burrowing fish/critters won't be happy with it.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had your dilemma 10 years ago, and almost went for coarser sand, but I knew I'd eventually want sand sleeping Wrasses. I went with Aragamax Select grain size 0.5mm-1.5mm and have used it ever since.
It's a pain with blowing around with new tanks and positioning wave makers/powerheads, but once you have things figured out it's good.
Don't point flow at it and it's all good.
I don't vacuum and don't need to, but I do occasionally scoop out dirty spots and wash it before placing back in the tank.

If you're looking for sand that won't blow around, pick something with at least a grain size of 2mm. Larger is better, but keep in mind most burrowing fish/critters won't be happy with it.
Good to know! I want a yellow watchman goby and want to make sure they'd like the substrate. Thinking about a flasher wrasse possibly too, but not sure if they're sand sleepers or not. What depth sand bed do you have with the select?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank? I find tropic eden sand is very good for the particle sizes listed clearly and the pieces not too ground up. Miniflakes plus meso for medium or low flow, and meso for medium to high flow. Meso plus reeflakes for very high flow, it is great stuff but a bit more expensve

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank? I find tropic eden sand is very good for the particle sizes listed clearly and the pieces not too ground up. Miniflakes plus meso for medium or low flow, and meso for medium to high flow. Meso plus reeflakes for very high flow, it is great stuff but a bit more expensve
Fluval Flex 32.5 gal (32.5" L x 15.75" W). Most likely will stick with low to medium flow. If you mix the miniflakes with the meso, like 50/50, do you think it would it be ok for sand-sifters like gobies or too course? Would the miniflakes end up settling at the bottom?

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to ask, if I can get a piece if actual live rock, then I really don't need to worry about Tropic Eden not being "live" sand like the CS Arag-alive? And if I don't add live rock, it would be better to go with live sand? Trying to wrap my head around it, lol. This is so new to me as I really only kept freshwater planted tanks with Fluval Stratum substrate (which I hated but the plants loved it).

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to ask, if I can get a piece if actual live rock, then I really don't need to worry about Tropic Eden not being "live" sand like the CS Arag-alive? And if I don't add live rock, it would be better to go with live sand? Trying to wrap my head around it, lol. This is so new to me as I really only kept freshwater planted tanks with Fluval Stratum substrate (which I hated but the plants loved it).
You don't need 'Live Anything' if you're planning on using dry rock, or even a piece of live rock.
Live Sand is just a selling point, and I feel should be removed from the market.
It's close to but not the same as buying bottled bacteria to help with your nitrogen cycle.
It's not going to get you through the nitrogen cycle, but makes purchasers feel better/sellers money/etc.

If you want to speed up the cycle, get some Dr Tims, or read how to add ammonia to cycle your tank

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need 'Live Anything' if you're planning on using dry rock, or even a piece of live rock.
Live Sand is just a selling point, and I feel should be removed from the market.
It's close to but not the same as buying bottled bacteria to help with your nitrogen cycle.
It's not going to get you through the nitrogen cycle, but makes purchasers feel better/sellers money/etc.

If you want to speed up the cycle, get some Dr Tims, or read how to add ammonia to cycle your tank
Makes sense. Someone said the LifeRock I bought isn't as porous as other types, but I will add extra media to my InTank filter to hopefully make up for that. Plus plan on using some live bottled bacteria to help kickstart the cycle. So thank you, I feel good about ditching the fancy wet live sand idea now. :) I've cycled a ton of tanks, I don't know why I feel like it will be so different with salt vs freshwater!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could even go barebottom and use some of this instead (rock will do most of the work though)

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently built a big unsupported aquascape with Tonga branch rock and other live rock, the best and strongest way I found was to dry some fresh course grained sand (one is used was about 3mm grain size), then prop the rocks together in the position you want, and pour some dry sand into gaps where you want to join them, then trickle over the surface with water thin superglue. Works almost instantly and is super strong!

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use these for a fishless and live rockless cycle

This and the Turbo Start 900 is what the owner of my LFS recommended too, so sounds like a good way to go. I did already buy this Microbe-Lift stuff... ok to use along with the Fritz so it's not wasted? I'd assume the more different strains of bacteria the better right?
Screenshot_20211229-011919_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently built a big unsupported aquascape with Tonga branch rock and other live rock, the best and strongest way I found was to dry some fresh course grained sand (one is used was about 3mm grain size), then prop the rocks together in the position you want, and pour some dry sand into gaps where you want to join them, then trickle over the surface with water thin superglue. Works almost instantly and is super strong!
Thank you, sounds like that would look pretty natural too with the sand filling the gaps. :)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This and the Turbo Start 900 is what the owner of my LFS recommended too, so sounds like a good way to go. I did already buy this Microbe-Lift stuff... ok to use along with the Fritz so it's not wasted? I'd assume the more different strains of bacteria the better right?
Screenshot_20211229-011919_Amazon Shopping.jpg ne
never seen this i think you meant to buy this stuff by mistake but it might be the same bacteria

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm having a hard time picking which substrate to use for my new tank - definitely overthinking it I'm sure, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding close up pics to help make my decision... so save my sanity and help me choose between one of these?
CaribSea Arag-alive fiji pink, Arag-alive special grade, Nature's Ocean natural white, Tropic Eden miniflakes, or Tropic Eden tonga special pink.
I'd like as close to a "natural" white as possible, and something that won't get sucked up in the gravel vac or blow all over. Don't plan on high flow.
I'm using mostly CaribSea LifeRock for rock and piece of Real Reef. Hope to snag a chunk of live rock from my boss's established reef tank BUT may not be possible. So, figuring live sand might be best with my dry rock (plus some Fritz turbo start)?
Also, has anyone scaped with LifeRock that can suggest the best thing to bond pieces together with? I really don't feel like messing with drilling into anything but want to stack it and don't want things falling apart. I've seen some "putty" like stuff that comes in purple that might blend well with the faux-coraline color of the LifeRock?
Forget the 'live sand' imo....regular Carib Sea arognite will do nicely. Skip the putty as well, it's not strong enough a bond if you are stacking rock. Use something like reef welder or stone fix, even an epoxy.
Get a good sized live rock or two then go with the 'life rock' once established for a month or two....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back