Need help deciding, should I transfer tanks?

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little conflicted right now. I originally started back into the hobby this year with this 21 gallon peninsula that I built the stand and canopy for. Its a UNS 90L with a custom acrylic AIO I made. I just recently got one of the UNS dual marine 9g peninsula and while its a great tank I'm kinda regretting it. I had a 6 gallon shallow running after breaking down the 21 and I transferred from the 6 to the 9. I was trying to sell the 21 with the stand for probably 6 months with no bites at all. I re-scaped the marco rock and thats what honestly made me a bit jealous of it sitting in the corner haha. Honestly in the long run I feel the 21 gallon is the better choice. I built a great stand and it will be a lot easier to place corals over time. The 9 gallon feels like its already getting cramped with the aquascape the way it is. The 21 gallon would have essentially 360 possibilities with the scape being somewhat of an island in the middle. Also I tried to have a yasha and pistol shrimp in the 9 gallon and found the yasha on top of the lid in the morning after about a week. Somehow it jumped out through the 1/8" gap at the back of the lid... I feel like one or two small fish would be far less stressed in the 21. What would you do?

IMG_2328.jpeg
IMG_2325.jpeg

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the 9g running for now. Start cycling the 21g. Slowly seed the 21g with sand, or a rock, or bio media from the 9. Then, make each tank a "species" tank. Keep LPS in the 9, keep SPS in the 21. Or softies in the 9, LPS in the 21. Whichever style appeals to you most. I think we all learn over time that a tank dedicated to the parameters of SPS, LPS, or softy only is much easier with greater success than trying to mix. Care requirements, lighting, parameters, fish type, and so on come in to play eventually.

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the 9g running for now. Start cycling the 21g. Slowly seed the 21g with sand, or a rock, or bio media from the 9. Then, make each tank a "species" tank. Keep LPS in the 9, keep SPS in the 21. Or softies in the 9, LPS in the 21. Whichever style appeals to you most. I think we all learn over time that a tank dedicated to the parameters of SPS, LPS, or softy only is much easier with greater success than trying to mix. Care requirements, lighting, parameters, fish type, and so on come in to play eventually.
I hear you, but I have to choose one or the other. I think I'm going to go with the 21 gallon. I've got about 15 bio balls in my 9g, originally from my LFS sump, that I will throw in the 21g. going to bring over a little sand too, just a little. Also will use dr tims ammonia in the 21 and throw some turbostart in too. I just feel the 21 will be much easier all around, coral placement, stability, and flow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back