Need help fixing my Reefwave 25

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just bought a secondhand Reefwave25 because I'm just starting this hobby, it worked fine for a few seconds of testing, so right after testing, I took apart the whole thing, cleaned it with citric acid and a toothbrush and it looks brand new. For some reason after cleaning it worked for 5 minutes. I unplugged it and reconnect, and now it doesn't work anymore. The pump doesn't respond but the controller and/or the app show that the pump should be running. I tried everything, took it apart again, resetting, re-assambling.
I found out that when its disconnected from power for a few minutes, and then reconnect, the pump gives a small pulse at the same moment when it should start running.

So my question: is this a fail in the controller, or in the pump motor? The pump motor looks fine and not damaged at all.

I added a video where everything will be clear.
I also tested with the brackets and impellor and submerge it in water before connecting to power. But the exact same happens then.
Any help would be welcome.

Attachments

• 20220731_044820.mp4
    55.9 MB

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just bought a secondhand Reefwave25 because I'm just starting this hobby, it worked fine for a few seconds of testing, so right after testing, I took apart the whole thing, cleaned it with citric acid and a toothbrush and it looks brand new. For some reason after cleaning it worked for 5 minutes. I unplugged it and reconnect, and now it doesn't work anymore. The pump doesn't respond but the controller and/or the app show that the pump should be running. I tried everything, took it apart again, resetting, re-assambling.
I found out that when its disconnected from power for a few minutes, and then reconnect, the pump gives a small pulse at the same moment when it should start running.

So my question: is this a fail in the controller, or in the pump motor? The pump motor looks fine and not damaged at all.

I added a video where everything will be clear.
I also tested with the brackets and impellor and submerge it in water before connecting to power. But the exact same happens then.
Any help would be welcome.
Video doesnt run for me.

My suggestion..remove it from the app...turn it to manual mode and see if one of the manual modes runs. The small pulse is what it does when it is testing itself to see if it can run without a problem. My uninformed thought is the fact that during that pulse..something is telling the reefwave that something is causing undue stress on the motor and that it should not keep going without causing damage.

As such, I see this being one of two issues:

1. Your assembly is incorrect in one way or another causing resistance on the blades sending a shut down response to the unit controller.
2. Defective unit on the pump side sending a shut down response to the unit controller..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video doesnt run for me.

My suggestion..remove it from the app...turn it to manual mode and see if one of the manual modes runs. The small pulse is what it does when it is testing itself to see if it can run without a problem. My uninformed thought is the fact that during that pulse..something is telling the reefwave that something is causing undue stress on the motor and that it should not keep going without causing damage.

As such, I see this being one of two issues:

1. Your assembly is incorrect in one way or another causing resistance on the blades sending a shut down response to the unit controller.
2. Defective unit on the pump side sending a shut down response to the unit controller..

Thats a really helpfull answer. Thanks!
I did the assembly 100% correct. Im quite experienced with electromotors and such, so this shouln't be a problem.
The manual function does the same thing. And when I don't assemble the impellors there is no resistance at all. Same problem occurs with impellors and submerged in water (different resistance)
So you suggest I should buy the pump motor as a replacement? And the controller is just fine?
Or is there any other cause for this motor problem if assembly is correct and resistance is as normal?

Again thanks for helping!

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a really helpfull answer. Thanks!
I did the assembly 100% correct. Im quite experienced with electromotors and such, so this shouln't be a problem.
The manual function does the same thing. And when I don't assemble the impellors there is no resistance at all. Same problem occurs with impellors and submerged in water (different resistance)
So you suggest I should buy the pump motor as a replacement? And the controller is just fine?
Or is there any other cause for this motor problem if assembly is correct and resistance is as normal?

Again thanks for helping!
I am hesitant to say yes or no as I dont want to be responsible for you outlaying money and it not resolving your problem. There is one more approach that you might want to take before you lay down the cash. Check your local reef store or local reef club to see if anyone has a ReefWave 25 and see if they will let you hook up your gyre to their controller to see if it runs properly. This would isolate the issue back to your motor or the controller. I cannot rule out the fact that your controller is the one interpreting the results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hesitant to say yes or no as I dont want to be responsible for you outlaying money and it not resolving your problem. There is one more approach that you might want to take before you lay down the cash. Check your local reef store or local reef club to see if anyone has a ReefWave 25 and see if they will let you hook up your gyre to their controller to see if it runs properly. This would isolate the issue back to your motor or the controller. I cannot rule out the fact that your controller is the one interpreting the results.
Will do! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Back