Need help fragging a toadstool leather

lemrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool leather where the top or head is about 8-10 inches in diameter and the stalk is about 12 inches long. It’s too tall and keeps falling over laying on the sand. My question is can you frag the stalk? I’m planning on cutting the stalk about 3-4 inches below the head. Is this an ok spot to frag on the leather or will It die from this?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool leather where the top or head is about 8-10 inches in diameter and the stalk is about 12 inches long. It’s too tall and keeps falling over laying on the sand. My question is can you frag the stalk? I’m planning on cutting the stalk about 3-4 inches below the head. Is this an ok spot to frag on the leather or will It die from this?

Fragging always introduces risk, but generally no it should not cause death. Toadstools can be sliced up in many pieces with no stalk and usually do fine.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I slice through the stalk about 1-2" below the head.

Other times I cut off the top in a doughnut shape.

Either way, the remainder goes dormant for a 2-4 weeks to heal. It looks a bit shriveled and even gets some film algae on it during that time. Then wakes back up and starts to put out new polyps.

In fact, I just trimmed mine with a doughnut cut ~3 weeks ago. And it just woke back up a few days ago. You can see new polyps just starting to show themselves around the cut:
leather.jpg

OP
OP
lemrider

lemrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I slice through the stalk about 1-2" below the head.

Other times I cut off the top in a doughnut shape.

Either way, the remainder goes dormant for a 2-4 weeks to heal. It looks a bit shriveled and even gets some film algae on it during that time. Then wakes back up and starts to put out new polyps.

In fact, I just trimmed mine with a doughnut cut ~3 weeks ago. And it just woke back up a few days ago. You can see new polyps just starting to show themselves around the cut:
leather.jpg
Thank you, also I was told to rubber new price to a rock, would it be bad to glue it?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, also I was told to rubber new price to a rock, would it be bad to glue it?
I got it as a small quarter-sized that was glued to frag plug. But I have no idea how the guy I got it from got the glue to work...

The pieces get so slimy when you cut them, I gave up after several attempts and just used rubber bands instead. So, yes, they can be glued ... but it sure as heck isn't easy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back