Duncan & Leather Help Needed…

AquaBert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - my Duncan seems to be receding. I took a few pics at 1 month, 6 month and then today. At one point it was going a new stem but not sure what happened. I feed them 1x week 4 LPS pellets.

Parameters are 8 months stable at 1.024 Sal, Nit 4ppm, Phos 0.04, calc 415, Alk 9.8, mag 1375-ish…I dose nitrate once a week and keep it around 4ppm, otherwise it will drop to zero.

Soft corals are doing great. Gorgonian is growing crazy…only clown and blenny and a few crabs in tank.

I felt like maybe the trace minerals were lacking so this week I started 1ml of Red Sea AB+. I also restarted water changes, 10% every week.

When I 1st got, the skeleton was smooth. I notice now that it is dimpled and looks “old” lol.

Part 2: my leather hasn’t grown in 8 months. Shedding now but seems to get smaller every shed. Also tentacles do not extend fully or Fluoresce like when I first bought it.

Bonus: my gorgonian is looking and growing amazing. I cut the top off 3 weeks ago and it has a 1 inch growth already.
IMG_0601.png
IMG_0609.jpeg
IMG_0606.png
IMG_0608.jpeg
IMG_0611.jpeg IMG_0609.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nutrients seem a little low to me, but I am curious to hear about what type of lighting and flow you have. Also a full tank pic really helps

OP
OP
A

AquaBert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nutrients seem a little low to me, but I am curious to hear about what type of lighting and flow you have. Also a full tank pic really helps
Great question! Below is the tank. 5 gallon Evo.

Light: NiCrew LED for reef, 20W, full spectrum
36 cool white (10,000k)
12-445nm Blue
12-460nm Blue
12- RGB

I am upgrading to a new light tomorrow, since I haven’t killed anything in a year I figure I splurge a bit. That one will have UV, royal blue, blue, and green/red whites etc.

The pump on the tank turns over 85 gallons but I have it pointed to the surface to agitate the water.

I have a Hygger Mini (for small tanks) wave maker set to random and only at 40% or lowest level.

I suspect it’s a lighting issue…but it’s odd. Most corals are between 50-200 par. These sit at 125 par.

Lighting: I have sunrise setting for 2 hrs then 4 hrs of full spectrum, then 5 hours of moon.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 26

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I measure if flow is too high?
Best way is to put an airstone in your tank, that way you see where and how all the bubbles moves. This can help you adjust flow, as well as eliminate dead spots.

If any doubt, you can take a 10 second video and post here for feedback

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back