Need help - how to select a healthy blue tang

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, new reefer here needs some advice on selecting a healthy blue tang. I'm checking out an online vendor selling me this juvenile blue tang and I was wondering if it has any skin issue. I'm unable to take a look at the fish in person so this photo is the only data I can gather.

From the photo, there are discoloration patches/marks on his face near the eye and mouth. Is this normal? Should I pull the trigger and place the order? Thanks!

PXL_20211012_193806511.MP_2.jpg

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find one in person and watch it for 30 minutes. If it’s calm, not scratching , inquisitive and you don’t see ANY lesions, then see it feed. Then, get yourself a blue tang. And QT it, don’t plop and pray.

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. This fish is quarantined that’s why I am exploring this option. However the skin looks a bit off..

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white under the mouth is normal. He looks healthy to my eyes. HOWEVER, hippo tangs (and tangs in general) are notorious for having ich and/or marine velvet. Just because it’s not showing now does not mean it is not a carrier. Your best bet is to do a medicated quarantine. A lot of vendors will claim they quarantine, but that does that not mean it’s a medicated quarantine. I’ve lost hippo tangs in the past to both illnesses (and they looked completely healthy when I bought them) and it is heartbreaking.

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white under the mouth is normal. He looks healthy to my eyes. HOWEVER, hippo tangs (and tangs in general) are notorious for having ich and/or marine velvet. Just because it’s not showing now does not mean it is not a carrier. Your best bet is to do a medicated quarantine. A lot of vendors will claim they quarantine, but that does that not mean it’s a medicated quarantine. I’ve lost hippo tangs in the past to both illnesses (and they looked completely healthy when I bought them) and it is heartbreaking.
Thank you! Duly noted.

What about the grey blemish under the eye? Is that normal?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back