b54922f233f95f88c29b36467a0359d9.jpg

Last edited:

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks gray in the photo -- is he really gray or is he blueish and the light messes the picture?

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like a bit like a Kole tang. If he is brand new, it may affect his coloring -- they generally have a slight striping. He actually might be a hybrid. The place you bought him from didn't know?

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like a bit like a Kole tang. If he is brand new, it may affect his coloring -- they generally have a slight striping. He actually might be a hybrid. The place you bought him from didn't know?
Just took a few other pictures. They sold it to me as a Fowelri, but it clearly isn’t. It doesn’t have the Fowelri markings. I had it shipped to me. Closest I can find based on its markings it could be a Dussumieri I think.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does look like a lavender tang. However, young/small acanthurus tangs are very hard to ID. I’d need a photo without all the blues so overpowering, perhaps even with them off, to have a better guess. Lavender tangs exhibit a wide range of coloration, so looking at photos can be confusing, particularly as juveniles/subadults.

Making matters worse, even I struggle with some bristletooth tang vs juvenile acanthurus ID as they can look quite similar until a closer look.

And that’s definitely not a fowleri. It COULD be a young dussumieri.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does look like a lavender tang. However, young/small acanthurus tangs are very hard to ID. I’d need a photo without all the blues so overpowering, perhaps even with them off, to have a better guess. Lavender tangs exhibit a wide range of coloration, so looking at photos can be confusing, particularly as juveniles/subadults.

Making matters worse, even I struggle with some bristletooth tang vs juvenile acanthurus ID as they can look quite similar until a closer look.

And that’s definitely not a fowleri. It COULD be a young dussumieri.

Got some more pictures with more whites on. Let’s see what you guys think. What do you guys think? :)

35c883e7703d3b737152fc2c28b9dc47.jpg
bf9f1fd0590c9669de60e043c9a9d9ae.jpg
d772545e93d0eeb1025e056c3c6e4efd.jpg
f0325ec1cb72788082945a8aad205992.jpg
6224fed6ebd8efa81554ad63fad43952.jpg
2fc7d270f209e850cd05f5704adc612c.jpg

Last edited:

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus binotatus, 100% not a lavender for several reasons most importantly the mouth though you can barely see it in the pics the last pic of the first set shows the characteristic v shape in the mouth that all Ctenochaetus posses, very distinct feature.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus binotatus, 100% not a lavender for several reasons most importantly the mouth though you can barely see it in the pics the last pic of the first set shows the characteristic v shape in the mouth that all Ctenochaetus posses, very distinct feature.
I agree that it’s not a lavender tang, but binotatus have bluish eyes, rather than yellow. Based on the fin structure it could be a bristletooth, perhaps striatus particularly in the photo below:
https://www.ephotozine.com/photo/ctenochaetus-striatus--striped-bristletooth-tang--9782935

You may be right that it's a bristletooth tang. Here are some other photos for reference: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163268

It's also found in similar waters to the Fowleri (as is the Ctenochaetus Binotatus) so it could be mixed up or ID'd improperly pretty easily.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus sp. Not for sure which one, since it's not one of the common ones.

binotatus has blue eyes, not yellow. Maybe C. marginatus or striatus.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you message me the supplier you used? I just received an order yesterday -- 1 bag had the wrong fish in it, and I had ordered two Nassarius snails and ten Turbos -- but I received ten Nassarius and two Turbos. Three bags had animals that were messed up. The supplier is extremely well thought of on this forum and this was my first problem with them so I do not want to use their name publicly. Sometimes these things happen. But I'm just curious if you ordered your tang from the same place.

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you message me the supplier you used? I just received an order yesterday -- 1 bag had the wrong fish in it, and I had ordered two Nassarius snails and ten Turbos -- but I received ten Nassarius and two Turbos. Three bags had animals that were messed up. The supplier is extremely well thought of on this forum and this was my first problem with them so I do not want to use their name publicly. Sometimes these things happen. But I'm just curious if you ordered your tang from the same place.

I got it ordered through a local distributor. Wasn’t purchased online.

OP
OP
rolyguy7

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it’s not a lavender tang, but binotatus have bluish eyes, rather than yellow. Based on the fin structure it could be a bristletooth, perhaps striatus particularly in the photo below:
https://www.ephotozine.com/photo/ctenochaetus-striatus--striped-bristletooth-tang--9782935

You may be right that it's a bristletooth tang. Here are some other photos for reference: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163268

It's also found in similar waters to the Fowleri (as is the Ctenochaetus Binotatus) so it could be mixed up or ID'd improperly pretty easily.

I think you got it right on the money. Definitely looks like the stripped bristletooth tang. Only thing it’s colors are very dark still so it made it difficult for me to ID. Thanks a bunch bud!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got it right on the money. Definitely looks like the stripped bristletooth tang. Only thing it’s colors are very dark still so it made it difficult for me to ID. Thanks a bunch bud!
Yeah, no problem! It's always tough to ID the less common bristlooth and acanthurus. Even for me, it takes some time and comparison for say 10% of the requests -- this was one!

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Striatus was my first guess but I have never seen one with the yellow in the fins like that despite having had a large one in the past either way it is one of the two for sure

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Striatus was my first guess but I have never seen one with the yellow in the fins like that despite having had a large one in the past either way it is one of the two for sure

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back