Need help identifying the problem with my clown fish

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to try and find the post you are talking about. I always try to refine my advice when I can, hindsight is sometimes 20:20. Can you point me to where I gave you an incorrect diagnosis? I can only find the one thread from last December about the Naso tang. I just asked a question about its breathing (because I suspected velvet). I never came out with a diagnosis there because Vetteguy was responding to you......it looks to me that he was the one who diagnosed that for you. Was there another post that I am missing?

Jay

Sounds about right. My apologies if it was a case of mistaken identity. I never did find out what was wrong with the fish, so I just attributed it to stress.

It was never my intent to disparage you. I only mentioned it because of the appeal to authority logical fallacy.

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like brook same as my clown had. I would isolate as soon as possible or it will spread fast.
Also I wouldn’t use the DT water it could still have the parasite in the water column. Can you make som fresh saltwater? Use a different heater and provide a place to hide as well. Some pvc elbows work nicely.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - by virtue of the slow breathing, that isn't velvet. The three possible diagnoses are: ich, brooklynella or just excess mucus. I'd rule out the mucus issue because the green chromis died. This still does not look like brooklynella to me, so that leaves ich. Treating this fish in a QT does nothing for the fish still in the DT, and one of those has died, and another is acting off, right?

For clarity here - CP can have two meanings: Copper Power or Chloroquine Phosphate. I presume you are talking about the latter, but I want to be certain.

As I had suggested, I need a 10 second video of the whole tank, and then short videos of each individual fish.

Jay

Thanks for your support Jay,

I choose CP (Chloroquine Phosphate) as I have done QT in the past with this and I have stock of them and it treats for velvet, brook and ich, seem right option for me.

the big clown I moved to QT is still look same as yesterday as far as breathing and eating, moving fine around the QT, I fed shrimp and it eat (a bit later I guess). btw I did a freshwater bath for 5 min before QT.

My next plan today is to catch royal gramma (shows some ich just this morning, yesterday It wasn't) will also catch the chromic and add them to the same QT tank where the clown is.

I will also move the blue tang to a different QT with copper.

ultimately I will move all fishes out the tank and QT.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to share some more details that occurred in the past, not sure if it helps in understanding what's going on in the tank.

I stared this 71 gal setup back in Jun 2018, I wasn't quarantining any fish I bought online or in-store (even though I know, I have no idea how I forgot all about not QT'ng ). Had pretty much same set of fishes + more

Oct 2018 (I believe 2 week before I got a clown from an LFS) noticed one fish lost, before I noticed, research and react, I was loosing one fish every day (sometime 2 in a day), and finally everything in matter of days. At that time I did not carry any medications required in hand and anything reefers recommend are not easily available for pickup, its all online order that takes days to get it)
THE REASON: CLEARLY ITS VELVET.
(I could see ich like on the body from one fish to another spreading too fast)

So after the reading/research I went fallow for 80 days. during the last 30 days of the fallow period I was stocking corals from WWC sales (which are not suspect for such diseases)

Then slowly adding 1 or 2 fish at a time to DT after QT ( with chloroquine) for 21 days until I reached 10 fishes.

So my last fish I added are blue tang, royal gramma, anthias. as per my calendar notes it was Oct 2019. I haven't added any fishes since then.

6 months later one day I don't see anthias (it always swimming around on the surface and very active). and its no where to be found, tried my best to look around.

another 6 months later I noticed chromis was breathing fast and staying in one place, then two days later that's missing too, wonder if the brittle starfish grabbed them after its dead. I closely watch other fishes and all seem well.

After that I did not have any loss since this weekend.

The one thing must have caused stress to all the fishes is because I can plucking the hairy algae from all the rocks messing up the acuascape.

THE REASON I AM PUTTING THIS OUT IS BECAZ I SEE SOME REEFERS POINTING THAT VELVET CAN BE DORMANT AND RETURN, SO IS THERE A CHANCE IN MY CASE, THEN I DON'T MIND A FRESH START AFTER THROUGH STERILITE OR HAVE A VERY LONGER FALLOW PERIOD.

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was clearing up the hairy green alage, pulling by hand (which is too much in my tank right now), so i messed up the aquascape totally, would that make a stress for the fish?
yea, that could stress a fish

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back