Need help identifying whats growing on my rocks

ChiefReefer420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these brownish-red spots with a white center growing on my rock. My tank is a little over a month old and all my parameters are good. Is this just part of the new tank uglies?
20210930_190009.jpg

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a coral and not any sort of algae. Are they growing fast? It looks like some sort of clove polyp to me, maybe brown clove polyps? Also look at pictures of brown star polyp which look similar as well.

If it’s confined to only one rock I would remove that rock personally to keep them from taking over. If it is an invasive clove polyp you are going to want to deal with them sooner rather than later. They can take over a tank.

I think fenbendazole might kill clove polyps but I’d sooner take that rock out than treat the whole tank. It can possibly hurt some inverts, including leathers, stars, and shrimp. Hopefully someone who has experience with fenbendazole will chime in.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it’s confined to only one rock I would remove that rock personally to keep them from taking over. If it is an invasive clove polyp you are going to want to deal with them sooner rather than later. They can take over a tank.

I think fenbendazole might kill clove polyps but I’d sooner take that rock out than treat the whole tank.

^ big facts

OP
OP
C

ChiefReefer420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a coral and not any sort of algae. Are they growing fast? It looks like some sort of clove polyp to me, maybe brown clove polyps? Also look at pictures of brown star polyp which look similar as well.

I think fenbendazole might kill clove polyps but I’d sooner take that rock out than treat the whole tank. It can possibly hurt some inverts, including leathers, stars, and shrimp. Hopefully someone who has experience with fenbendazole will chime in.
I do have some GSP near it too, which I was kind of thinking it looked similar. It's grown pretty rapidly over about 4 days when I first noticed it.

So far, it's only on one rock that I can see. I'm gonna remove it for now and continue to monitor if its anywhere else.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife tried to get me to buy some clove polyps today. I was like, mm nah. That was my guess too.

Last edited:

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some GSP near it too, which I was kind of thinking it looked similar. It's grown pretty rapidly over about 4 days when I first noticed it.

So far, it's only on one rock that I can see. I'm gonna remove it for now and continue to monitor if its anywhere else.
That sounds like clove polyps. I definitely think you’re making the right choice in removing the rock. Better safe than sorry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back