Need Help lowering Calcium

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I need some help on how to lower my calcium. My levels rite now are
Alk-9.94
Cal-530
Mag-1272
Those are the readings from my apex trident. It has been calibrated 3days. After the calibration the cal and alk were dropping for a 2 days and all of a sudden the calcium is rising. Can someone help me???

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I need some help on how to lower my calcium. My levels rite now are
Alk-9.94
Cal-530
Mag-1272
Those are the readings from my apex trident. It has been calibrated 3days. After the calibration the cal and alk were dropping for a 2 days and all of a sudden the calcium is rising. Can someone help me???
Are you dosing Cal? What number are you looking for? What is in the tank?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, then if you trust the readings you are getting do a 20% water change if the calcium goes down then your reading are good if it stays the same something is wrong with the way you are testing it. Or your equipment needs cleaned. If you have not added any calcium it can not rise by its self.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water changes.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen my Trident to show increasing readings despite the absence of dosing. Seems this wandering off baseline has been observed by others, too. Could you confirm by a different test first? What helped for me was to repetitively prime and to reset by brief disconnect from the Apex.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen my Trident to show increasing readings despite the absence of dosing. Seems this wandering off baseline has been observed by others, too. Could you confirm by a different test first? What helped for me was to repetitively prime and to reset by brief disconnect from the Apex.
Well, then if you trust the readings you are getting do a 20% water change if the calcium goes down then your reading are good if it stays the same something is wrong with the way you are testing it. Or your equipment needs cleaned. If you have not added any calcium it can not rise by its self.
The trident it only a week old and i just calibrated it a week after i started using it. Shouldnt be an equipment issue.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… this was my reading. No calcium dosing, hardly any consumption, no water changes… D71DA48A-0E45-4883-9FA9-2C31999B264C.png

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it can go up on its own that is what a calcium reactor does lowers ph and melts the calcium carbonate back into the water.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ph. If it is low yor calcium can come from your rock and graval.
My ph is relatively low too..7.78. But i think there is a issue with it. It needs to be recalibrated. I have had my skimmer off recently cuz im dealing with a case of ich and been using ruby reefs ich treatment

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less oxygen less ph . Still not low anouph to raise calcium i think its your apex. More water movement at the top of your tank will raise ph. Turning protein skimmer on will raise it to.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less oxygen less ph . Still not low anouph to raise calcium i think its your apex. More water movement at the top of your tank will raise ph. Turning protein skimmer on will raise it to.
Yea i have my gyre running around the top right now. I guess i will do a waterchange to see if it still rises. Thanks for all the help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason to work to lower calcium that is 530 ppm. Some salt mixes start that high.

If it trends up more into the upper 500's, then that's time to think about why and what to do.

No, relax and enjoy the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i have my gyre running around the top right now. I guess i will do a waterchange to see if it still rises. Thanks for all the help

Test your new salt water before expecting a water change to help.

Back