Need help! -- Maroon Clownfish fry dying at day 35 plus

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all thanks so far with the advice - What size Otohime should i used A,B1,B2?
It's been so many years, I can't remember - A1 or A2 I think?

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See how cute they are. eating bbs enriched with selcon and rotifer feed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See how cute they are. eating bbs enriched with selcon and rotifer feed.
How many do you have left?

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still losing a few a day. Not sure why. The ones in the main parent tank are doing better. i guess that have better water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still losing a few a day. Not sure why. The ones in the main parent tank are doing better. i guess that have better water.
I've never raised maroons - at what point do you need to separate them to keep them from fighting?

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i understand it that agression can be controlled by keep a large number of them together. However i dont know when they start fighting - some people have mention 30 days plus. I havent observed this aggression with the ones that moved to the glass breeder tank. But they are well feed. The ones in the 10L tank could be fighting as they are less well fed due to the fact that they are further away from food and I dont target feed those due to brine shrimp egg shell.

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Fish die off in the breeder glass tank where there are 15 in there. The main fry tank they are still dying off. I have a sponge filter seeded with ATM nitrifying bacteria but still not sure why they are dying off from time to time. Must be water quality.The big tank which the small floating glass breeder has better filtration and has been running for 3 years with sump and 3 hydra filters so better water quality its also 295 litres.

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is main fry tank where the babies keep on dying

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the babies in the main parent tank that is 285L

Attachments

• FryBreeder1.mp4
    2.4 MB
OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeding them both the same food. newly hatched baby brine shrimps with rotifer feed and selcon. But the the tank where they are dying has less water and must have water quality issues?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeding them both the same food. newly hatched baby brine shrimps with rotifer feed and selcon. But the the tank where they are dying has less water and must have water quality issues?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I can't tell you what parameter is off though. Most common for me in fry tanks has been ammonia (of course) as well as low oxygen. For other species of clowns, it is pretty rare to lose them at this stage; I'm used to big losses around day 4, and then again when they switch from rots to bbs, but at 30+ days, things always settle down for me.....

Jay

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive started to lose fry at about 4-5 months old due to stress and fighting in my 40 breeder.
I think yours died of some sort of ammonia or nitrite poisoning - look at the red fins

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive started to lose fry at about 4-5 months old due to stress and fighting in my 40 breeder.
I think yours died of some sort of ammonia or nitrite poisoning - look at the red fins
Just to point out - many people don't realize this, but nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish, the chloride ions render it harmless. It is DEADLY to freshwater fish in the absence of cl- though.

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, sponge filter has been in for 8 days day with top up of ATM every day to accelerate cycling the tank. Also beeing feeding selcon, rotifer to bbs. This seem to be having good results losses have come down to smaller numbers, a few a day. So far so good and in the glass breeder they have tasted a little of the otihime A1, B1. They only seem to eat the small B1 and large A1 particles and generally ignore the rest, making quite a mess in the glass breeder, luckly that tanks have 3 hydra filters in there so water quality should be good.

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They main only eat bbs, it's harder than i thought to wean them onto the next food source!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back