Lightning Maroon clownfish

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a maroon clownfish and a gold nugget about a week ago from my lfs, got them in a qt tank at the moment, but the lightning is acting weird always going to one side of the qt tank and falling down, swims perfectly fine and eats like crazy I’ve been doing copper treatment to prevent any ich or external parasites and been feeding garlic with metroplex and focus for 3 days now. They haven’t been aggressive to each other at all. I notice when I got them the lighting poop was white and it was pooping white for 2 days. Let me know what else I can do. But other than that it’s fine no ich, no white poop, not breathing heavy, no injuries. Let me know if that’s a normal thing or not.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a maroon clownfish and a gold nugget about a week ago from my lfs, got them in a qt tank at the moment, but the lightning is acting weird always going to one side of the qt tank and falling down, swims perfectly fine and eats like crazy I’ve been doing copper treatment to prevent any ich or external parasites and been feeding garlic with metroplex and focus for 3 days now. They haven’t been aggressive to each other at all. I notice when I got them the lighting poop was white and it was pooping white for 2 days. Let me know what else I can do. But other than that it’s fine no ich, no white poop, not breathing heavy, no injuries. Let me know if that’s a normal thing or not.
Short video using white lighting will help. As far as aggression concerns you'll need to take a video while you're not in the room. Fish behave while being watched.

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short video using white lighting will help. As far as aggression concerns you'll need to take a video while you're not in the room. Fish behave while being watched.
I’m trying to upload but doesn’t let me and yeah I got a ring camera and no aggressiveness at all been recording for 4 days straight nothing

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to upload but doesn’t let me and yeah I got a ring camera and no aggressiveness at all been recording for 4 days straight nothing
Posting to YouTube and then linking here helps some people.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the clown is just reacting negatively to the bare tank bottom.

One other thing this could be is that the fish has a developmental problem called “belly sliding”. However, that would have been apparent in the LFS before you bought the fish.
In any event, the swim bladders in some tank raised clownfish do not develop normally, and those fish will rest on the bottom when they are not actively swimming.
Normally, breeders will cull these fish, but they miss some, and then, with high value clowns, some breeders don’t want to lose the profit, so they sell them off anyway.

Jay

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the clown is just reacting negatively to the bare tank bottom.

One other thing this could be is that the fish has a developmental problem called “belly sliding”. However, that would have been apparent in the LFS before you bought the fish.
In any event, the swim bladders in some tank raised clownfish do not develop normally, and those fish will rest on the bottom when they are not actively swimming.
Normally, breeders will cull these fish, but they miss some, and then, with high value clowns, some breeders don’t want to lose the profit, so they sell them off anyway.

Jay
That sucks I didn’t know about that yeah the problem is that the lfs did an order for me and the same day I picked them off they were in their shipping bags so didn’t see them off in a clearer section or roaming free, I always buy from that lfs always get good quality it was my mistake. Is there a chance that I can help the guy out? And if there’s no solution how long do they live with this type of problem?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks I didn’t know about that yeah the problem is that the lfs did an order for me and the same day I picked them off they were in their shipping bags so didn’t see them off in a clearer section or roaming free, I always buy from that lfs always get good quality it was my mistake. Is there a chance that I can help the guy out? And if there’s no solution how long do they live with this type of problem?
If it is belly sliding, it is permanent - I don’t know if they can live long term with that or not, I would euthanize them when I saw it in my clowns, so I don’t know what the prognosis is, sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is belly sliding, it is permanent - I don’t know if they can live long term with that or not, I would euthanize them when I saw it in my clowns, so I don’t know what the prognosis is, sorry.
Jay
Ok well appreciate your time thank you so so much

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back