Need help mixing powder solution

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help mixing this brightwell magnesium P powder solution.

How many grams do I need to make a litter solution?

Sorry I’m terrible with math and I’ll appreciate the help!

Side note : no matter how many solutions I add my magnesium still stays around 1300?

Instructions and Guidelines​

Basic: Dissolve 2.5 grams (~3/4 teaspoon) of product per 20 US-gallons of aquarium water in 16-fl. oz. of fresh water; add every other day or as needed to maintain the magnesium concentration within a range of 1,290 - 1,320 ppm. When used in this fashion, 1,200 g treats up to 9,600 US-gallons (36,340 L).

Advanced: First raise the magnesium level using the basic instructions above. Once desired level has been acquired, measure aquarium's magnesium concentration at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period to determine the daily rate of magnesium uptake (i.e. the decrease in magnesium daily). Determine the amount of Magnesion-P to add using this formula: Daily Amt (grams) = Daily Loss (in ppm) x Tank Volume (gallons) / 64. Alternately to measure in liters, use this formula: Determine the amount of Magnesion-P to add using this formula: Daily Amt (grams) = Daily Loss (in ppm) x Tank Volume (liters) / 243.

For example: If you determine that you need to raise the magnesium level in your 50 gallon aquarium by 10 mg/L or 10 ppm, you would add 10 x 50 / 64 or 7.8 grams or about 2.5 teaspoons of powder in as much water as it takes to fully dissolve (about 16 oz. per 2.5 grams or about 48 oz.) of water and mix until clear and cool. Then add that amount to your aquarium

IMG_1657.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 1300 ppm magnesium is just about perfect, being a tad above the ocean average.

It takes a massive amount of magnesium dosing to boost magnesium by a sizable amount.

The concentration of the solution makes no real difference. If you know how much solid you want to dose, dissolve it in some water and add it.

How much do you want to boost magnesium in what size tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 1300 ppm magnesium is just about perfect, being a tad above the ocean average.

It takes a massive amount of magnesium dosing to boost magnesium by a sizable amount.

The concentration of the solution makes no real difference. If you know how much solid you want to dose, dissolve it in some water and add it.

How much do you want to boost magnesium in what size tank?
My LPS seems more happier with a higher magnesium but I’m trying to raise it to 100 PPM

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1400 and a 90g tank

To raise magnesium by 100 ppm in 90 gallons of water will require ~ 1/4 of the package that you showed in the picture (~ 141 g)

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dissolve it in a liter of RO/DI water and add it once a day over several days.
If I’m trying to raise my 150g system 100ppm (currently at 1250ppm), I have to use 235g of powder. What’s the lowest amount of RODI water I can safely mix it in? The instructions would call for 16g of RODI water for that amount if I’m reading them right.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m trying to raise my 150g system 100ppm (currently at 1250ppm), I have to use 235g of powder. What’s the lowest amount of RODI water I can safely mix it in? The instructions would call for 16g of RODI water for that amount if I’m reading them right.

I don’t think you’d want to use the minimum, but 1-1.5 L should dissolve it.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it won't dissolve just add some more water. I haven't calculated it, but I think 2 litres would be fine.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it won't dissolve just add some more water. I haven't calculated it, but I think 2 litres would be fine.
Maybe I’ll try 100g in 1L two different days, test in a week then figure out the difference. The idea of needing 16 gallons (32oz per 3.5 grams) just made me not want to open the bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ll try 100g in 1L two different days, test in a week then figure out the difference. The idea of needing 16 gallons (32oz per 3.5 grams) just made me not want to open the bucket.

That's certainly is not needed.

Real demand is less than 1 ppm per day, so the high dilution just helps with tiny additions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing only 1ml of AFR every hour right now, that shouldn’t have any affects on when I’m adding the magnesium p, should it?

No, and I also doubt you need much magnesium.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, and I also doubt you need much magnesium.
I’m trying to raise it, not maintain. The AFR I’m dosing seems to keep up with consumption already, but I feel 1250 is a little low and I’d ideally would like to be at 1350. So I’m just trying to bring my baseline up 100ppm by adding the 235grams of powder I calculated.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to raise it, not maintain. The AFR I’m dosing seems to keep up with consumption already, but I feel 1250 is a little low and I’d ideally would like to be at 1350. So I’m just trying to bring my baseline up 100ppm by adding the 235grams of powder I calculated.
If it makes you happy.

Nothing in the tank is going to care :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back