Need help Nano tank plagued with green algae!!

ReefKeeper666

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2020
Messages
473
Reaction score
165
Location
Coral Gables, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I own a 13 gallon fluval Nano. It is about 10 months old now. It is on the breakfast bar of my kitchen. My apartment has lots of Sunlight coming in from 3 big windows and a sliding glass balcony door. Could the sunlight be contributing to this? I went to Europe for 2 weeks and told my brother just feed the fish and turn the lights on. I did a water change about 36 hours before I left. Tank has always had some green algae that I assumed was from being in line with the sunlight. My light is pretty basic and is only off/white/blue. I usually run 1 hour white then switch to blue. My brothers not an idiot and highly doubt he messed up the light schedule. How can I clean this up? How can I prevent this in the future. I def. Lost a few corals :(. Pics below.
 
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
I would add more snails. I would add a small powerhead to get more flow in there. Also oxygenate the water more, huge algae outbreak lowers the oxygen level at night, and your water surface is flat so you already have low gas exchange. I suspect overfeeding (which is normal for fish-sitters), feed only as much as they eat, don't let any food rot in the water. Get more hermits to eat the uneaten food. Should be changing water out weekly, and tooth brushing the rocks at the same time.
 
It kind sounds like your light isnt on a timer? If not I would regulate that forsure.

Don't freak out algae is part of the game. Mr. Mojo is on point. More flow helps everything, and more snails. My emerald does a great job of eating algae. I'm a huge fan of urchins in nanos. I would put the smallest one you can find in there
 
Thanks a bunch guys. What’s the best way for me clean/clear up the tank at this point? Just scape off the algae and scrub the rock? Or is there something better?
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new