Need help on phyto and pod additions

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks that I help with regarding phyto and pod additions. I spoke with two different vendors and received two different answers (of course!) on the second tank.

First tank is my existing 75G (30G sump w fuge) tank. Been battling dinos and some cyano for 6-8 months now. Phosphate is between .07 and all the way up to .2. Nitrates are steady between 3-5 ppm. My cheato in the fuge is not growing well and is dark green. Using a grow light from Amazon but I am contemplating going w a Kessil. I am confused as to why I have dinos with the high nutrients (eg phos). I heard adding phyto and pods can help beat the dinos. Any body out there beat dinos with phyto and pods?

Second tank (180DT/36 G sump) is brand new and has been cycling for almost 3 months. Nothing but sand and dry rock (with about 20 lbs of live rock from my existing tank) are in the tank right now. I spoke w two vendors and one recommends adding phyto and pods now to seed. The other says wait. Will adding live phyto and pods now help or hurt? Any advice on how to proceed eg how much to add, types of pods, when etc?

Thanks in advance

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks that I help with regarding phyto and pod additions. I spoke with two different vendors and received two different answers (of course!) on the second tank.

First tank is my existing 75G (30G sump w fuge) tank. Been battling dinos and some cyano for 6-8 months now. Phosphate is between .07 and all the way up to .2. Nitrates are steady between 3-5 ppm. My cheato in the fuge is not growing well and is dark green. Using a grow light from Amazon but I am contemplating going w a Kessil. I am confused as to why I have dinos with the high nutrients (eg phos). I heard adding phyto and pods can help beat the dinos. Any body out there beat dinos with phyto and pods?

Second tank (180DT/36 G sump) is brand new and has been cycling for almost 3 months. Nothing but sand and dry rock (with about 20 lbs of live rock from my existing tank) are in the tank right now. I spoke w two vendors and one recommends adding phyto and pods now to seed. The other says wait. Will adding live phyto and pods now help or hurt? Any advice on how to proceed eg how much to add, types of pods, when etc?

Thanks in advance
I have heard that pods will help with dino's but I can't verify. Someone with experience on this will probably chime in.

Tank 2, the first thing I added to my tank was pods, I let mine cycle for well over a month before adding them. Dry rock and sand and phyto. Pod population is fantastic right now.

Edit: I added 2 jars of 5280 pods from algebarn. I had nothing in the tank so I didn't follow the instructions of adding them with lights out.

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any algea issues in that tank (yet). But I took things slow on this build in an attempt to get a good healthy system established. Time will tell if it pays off.

Wet in June, Pods seeded in September and first fish introduced in October

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back